Talk

Advanced search

Any reason not to give dried fruit to 7 month old??

(10 Posts)
Nancy54 Sun 21-Apr-13 11:48:24

i live in france and they are rather anal cautious about all things baby related. They say not to give dried friut such as abricot or raisins until a year at least. I can't really find any reason for this apart from the fact that some dried friut contains a lot of fibre so could be difficult to digest. Do people in the uk give dried fruit from 6 months.

5madthings Sun 21-Apr-13 11:55:28

Mine had dried fruit from 6mths just be careful as its not great for teeth so have with a meal and drink of water.

Nancy54 Mon 22-Apr-13 08:16:41

ok, thank you!

birdofthenorth Mon 22-Apr-13 08:19:06

I gave it earlier -maybe 9 months- but there were some swollen non-chewed raisins in her nappy!

ilovepowerhoop Mon 22-Apr-13 14:04:04

they are more of a choking hazard due to their size and shape (similar to peanuts I suppose) so if you give them stay close and montior how they are getting on with them. I think my two were around 9/10 months when they first had them

FattyMcChubster Mon 22-Apr-13 14:08:29

Do they have quite a high sugar content? I'd just keep an eye on portion sizes and obviously the size/choking issue

Nancy54 Mon 22-Apr-13 15:27:51

Yeah I more thinking of adding dried abricot purred to apple and stuff

DystopianReality Mon 22-Apr-13 15:34:38

Dried fruit is as bad for teeth as giving sweets, it's pure sugar, fills them up with sugar, take their appetite away, gives them a sugar rush and rots their deveoping teeth, not to speak of encouraging a sweet tooth. Yes there is some fibre in them, fine if they're constipated, otherwise give them the widest berth you can.

Nancy54 Tue 23-Apr-13 18:41:38

ok thansk for the advice dystopian

Littlecherublegs Tue 30-Apr-13 22:25:58

I have been giving my 7 month old raisins - I didnt think anything (bad) of it and he loves them!

I must admit I do find it more difficult to find easy healthy snacks / finger food, esp. for 'on the go'. I give him things like bread sticks and rice cakes and bits of fruit & veg, but he does also get the occassional biscuit (Ella's Kitchen ones) or corn/maize snacks (Organix) which I dont think can be particularly healthy???!! hmm

Any healthy alternatives wouldbe much appreciated!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now