Talk

Advanced search

Spoon issues...

(8 Posts)
Illustrationaddict Fri 19-Apr-13 18:40:21

Hi lovely mumsnetters,

I was hoping someone out there in cyberspace could offer me some much needed advice.

DD is nearly 11 months and we've been trying both puréed and solid foods. This was going fine until we both came down with gastroenteritis about a fortnight ago where we were both vomiting. My gastro only lasted about 3 days before I was relatively back to normal, but lasted over a week with DD which led to 2 GP appointments. Anyway she appears to have slimmed down a bit, but her appetite doesn't seem to be coming back so well.

I've been putting foods that she used to like in front of her and she'll take maybe 2 or 3 mouthfuls then have a full on melt down in her high chair. She particularly hates her spoon and screams if I try to feed her with it (and when I say scream it's a full on crying fit). I've tried offering the spoon for her to use, but she really hates it and won't even take the food with her hands if I put it on her tray for her to pick through as she likes.

The only things I can get her to eat are things like baby crisps, bread sticks, baby biscuits, toast which is not a diet I want her to have long term. I was also hoping to push the cup more during the day, but DD won't take it with milk in, she seems insistent on a bottle, no matter how many different beakers I try. Any suggestions on how to resolve this behaviour would be greatly appreciated.

Mumof2beautys Fri 19-Apr-13 20:38:29

Hi I'm new to this so I'm not really sure how it works but here goes..
My 2 year old goes through a similar thing every time he's unwell.. He seems to revert to picking at food instead of proper meals.. And refusing his usual favourites.. We stick it out now n don't give in to him n within a day or two he's back to normal eating us out of a home..
It sounds cruel wen I write it down but I know that he's just trying to get what he wants to eat .( which is what he's been getting whilst poorly) when he realises that it's his dinner or nothing then he quickly eats up and then some.. Hope this is helpful...
And not too late...

Oh and I'd also try something quite plain if she's been poorly as anything to rich might make her queezy.. Plain but nice.. Mash is always a good choice in my house.. Cheesy if a special occasion ha ha.... Good luck

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 19-Apr-13 20:42:48

Poor you and poor dd. you mention that she has slimmed down a little and that you are trying to spoon feed her. Are you anxious about the weight loss? Could she be picking up on this?

I would leave the cups for now, she obviously still feels a bit rough and wants the calories and comfort her bottle provides. I'd just give her as much milk as she wants for now,

As for solids, I've found that benign neglect works well, so just put the food on her tray and eat your meal or even read a newspaper. Trust her to eat what she needs for now but don't offer alternatives if she refuses what's been served.

Keep a food diary for a week or two, it might help you see that she is actually having enough over the week. Babies often eats little for a few days and then more on others. A food diary would also be useful if you need a return trip to the GP.

Could she be teething too?

I'd also have a look at the book My Child Won't Eat by Carlos Gonzalez smile

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 19-Apr-13 20:44:02

Xposted with beautys smile

Dumdeedumdeedum Fri 19-Apr-13 20:57:02

She won't starve herself!

Kids often crave carbs when they have been poorly, don't panic! Just give her what she will eat but keep trying her with other stuff and eventually she will get back to normal. If she is having spoon issues then maybe it's time for real food? The baby lead weaning cookbook is good. It has an overview at the beginning and some really good recipes for babies. Also how about breadsticks with dips?

HappySunflower Fri 19-Apr-13 21:02:36

If the spoon is bothering her, then I would ditch it for a bit.

There are lots of things she could eat with her fingers:
Chunks of avocado
Halved cherry/plum tomatoes
Chopped cocktail sausages
Lumps of mashed potato
Carrot batons
Bread sticks and humous to dip it in

Illustrationaddict Fri 19-Apr-13 21:07:05

Thanks ladies, it's such a relief to hear other people have been through this and found some coping strategies. I think the food diary is a good idea, as well as maybe a little tough love with healthier options, feel soo awful constantly feeding her carbs. Much appreciated

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 19-Apr-13 21:09:42

Please don't feel bad feeding her the carbs, my dd has been ill for some time and now eats 2 rounds of toast every night before bed, she says she can't sleep without it smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now