Talk

Advanced search

RECIPES pleaseeeee

(12 Posts)
Nemo1977 Mon 15-May-06 19:51:47

hi all
Recommended by hospital to wean DD due to her reflux but she isnt interested in the basics of mashed potato or carrot etc I have been giving her. So need some good tried and tested recipes please. She is nearly 5mths and have been trying for around 3wks to wean. I think she is ready as she will quite happily munch on a toast crust herself and will eat banana from me etc. Plus with the consultant recommending it I dont want a debate about it.

So any ideas gratefully recieved.

Nemo1977 Mon 15-May-06 19:52:21

oops sounds harsh..not what I meant..blame the hormones

compo Mon 15-May-06 19:53:24

google Annabel Karmel and you should get a link to her site. he has a good bit on first weaning foods

PanicPants Mon 15-May-06 19:55:11

Try swede, when I weaned ds it was the only thing he would eat. He preferred it to everything else.

Strange child.

MerlinsBeard Mon 15-May-06 19:55:56

i got my ideas from the labels on jars (and had some in for emergancies), i just copied what the label said eg chicken and rice became just that, chicken and rice without all the other "stuff" they put in!

compo Mon 15-May-06 20:05:53

thinking about it I started ds off on the Heinz tins - apple puree etc seemed to go down well. Then moved on to carrot and swede mixtures, parsnip, apple and carrot, mashed banana. None of it went down very well but he eventually got the idea

Nemo1977 Mon 15-May-06 20:22:51

I have tried a couple of the tins and she does seem to like them more like the banana delight and carrot and sweetcorn but just dont see point in paying out when I can give her bits from the veg we have....mean mummy here..plus with expecting no.3 want to try and save money and learn tips.

expatinscotland Mon 15-May-06 20:38:08

sweet potato and butternut squash.

can put a little apple puree on the tip.

MerlinsBeard Mon 15-May-06 20:44:05

it was sooooooo much cheaper when i pureed my own things up. DS1 was completely jar fed but DS2 wouldn't eat them much. I made extra of any veg we were having (lots extra) and pureed it up into ice cubes (as u do) was miles cheaper and i could mix and match whatever i liked that way, just got out the ones i needed to defrost the night b4 or frst thing in the morning. Also, for a quick meal, mush up a banana witha fork

dyzzidi Mon 15-May-06 20:53:03

Hi Nemo. DD seems to love parsnips with peas. I figure its because they are both sweet tasting. She also like sweet potato, butternut squash and courgette. I do think it is trial and error though.

expatinscotland Mon 15-May-06 20:58:45

that's what we did, monstermum. and will do again.

dd1 loved peas!

our hand blender rocks.

Rach69 Mon 15-May-06 20:59:05

I think potato is unpopular because it is quite tasteless and freezes badly (in a lump) - mine always loved parsnip, carrot, swede, butternut squash - can add leek/green beans later. Also apple, pear, apricot, very ripe banana etc also mixed with rice to stop it shooting through them. Try them individually first and then mix flavours together. If you freeze a load in ice cube trays you can transfer the little blocks in a freezer bag and mix and match.

Thinking about her reflux, I suppose the logical thing would be baby rice and milk - v.bland, simple and similar to her milk, just a tiny bit thicker - perhaps your texture isn't runny enough?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: