Talk

Advanced search

Nice recipe for 6.5mo with spinach?

(14 Posts)
ballroomblitz Fri 19-Apr-13 16:27:40

Ds used to love spinach and ricotta lasagna but can't be bothered to stand for ages cooking it. Bought a bag the other day and it needs used up but think spinach would be a bit strong by itself. What could I mix with it to make it palatable for a baby?

NuzzleandScratch Fri 19-Apr-13 19:02:34

I have a good answer, just gave dd2 spinach for the first time last night and she loved it! I think I got this from a Jamie Oliver book, but anyway, what you do is put a handful of spinach in a pan (I use a sort of deep non stick one), then add a knob of unsalted butter, a drizzle of olive oil, a squeeze of lemon & a grating of nutmeg. Then put the lid on & cook on the hob on a low heat until the spinach has wilted (only takes a few mins), stirring occasionally. She loved it & ate the lot!

NuzzleandScratch Fri 19-Apr-13 19:03:11

Should add that she's almost 9 months, but it comes out very soft, so should be fine for a younger baby.

CreatureRetorts Fri 19-Apr-13 19:03:45

What about using frozen spinach? Cooks faster.

You can use frozen spinach mixed into cheese sauce mixed into pasta?

KenDoddsDadsDog Fri 19-Apr-13 19:05:32

Yes - would second spinach in cheese sauce. Gorgeous.

AndMiffyWentToSleep Fri 19-Apr-13 19:12:56

Or just cook it and mix it with cream cheese (easier than a white sauce!)

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 19-Apr-13 20:22:28

Spinach mixed with korma is yummy, if its a bit too spicy you could always add some cream or natural yoghurt.

ballroomblitz Fri 19-Apr-13 20:24:28

I would use frozen spinach only I've already bought the fresh stuff.

Liking mixing it into cream cheese, thinking philie as there's always a tub in the fridge. I really should get round to making and freezing my own cheese sauce again as I love cheese sauce myself but life is far too hectic.

I think I'll try yours first Nuzzle as it sounds really clean and the vit C from the lemon will help iron absorption.

Thank you all for the ideas.

ballroomblitz Fri 19-Apr-13 20:26:37

Korma? I have no idea how to make anything like that for babies JiltedJohn . Recipe pretty please?

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 19-Apr-13 20:33:02

We just gave ours the same korma we ate but if you want a baby recipe there is a great one in this book or try this smile

plantsitter Fri 19-Apr-13 20:34:38

You've done it now, but I would probably put it in a spanish oven-omelette with other veg and cheese and then cut it into wedges. Yum.

plantsitter Fri 19-Apr-13 20:36:19

p.s. don't make and freeze cheese sauce, use the microwave cheese sauce recipe!

ArabellaBeaumaris Fri 19-Apr-13 20:37:28

we all really like this annabel karmel (i know) recipe

www.annabelkarmel.com/recipes/sleep-recipes/popeye-pasta

NuzzleandScratch Fri 19-Apr-13 22:09:40

grin Let us know how you get on!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now