Talk

Advanced search

Found myself stuck - frozen peas, salt?

(11 Posts)
whosthis Fri 19-Apr-13 01:40:32

hi, I v been washing hands three time in an hour running around to get things ready before I puree the boiled peas. Then, it smelled so good, making me wonder if it has salt added.

You know now, very disturbed to discover the nutrition with "traces" of salt.

Is it still ok to go ahead?

At the same time, I realise that i am actually not sure if it's ok freeze these defrosted and then boiled little green balls! Is it ok? Does this count as "refreeze" food and "reheat" food later on when I microwave it?

Startail Fri 19-Apr-13 01:50:39

They are peas, they're not raw chicken you aren't going to give anyone food poisoning with peas unless you leave them out for days on end and let them go moldy. You can freeze them, thaw them and reheat them perfectly happily.

By the time you've been weaning a couple of months you will be reheating and reserving the same food at lunch, dinner and breakfast until the little darling eats just one spoonful.

And seriously we all need a trace of salt to survive.

puds11isNAUGHTYnotNAICE Fri 19-Apr-13 01:56:37

Veg tends to be fine for freezing and reheating. There are very few non meat products that are harmful when reheated.

Startail Fri 19-Apr-13 01:56:52

Yes I'm being flippant, but seriously if you find yourself suffering OCD symptoms over weaning your child, please get help.

Older babies and toddlers are the messiest things on the planet and are quite happy to put anything in their mouths.

Mine are 15 and 12 so they do survive, even though they try very hard not to some times.

50shadesofbrown Fri 19-Apr-13 01:58:09

Hi I'm pretty sure the 'trace' of salt will just be the natural salt content of the peas. As long as you use plain frozen peas with nothing added they should be ok. If concerned ask your HV but we've given out DD frozen peas lots of times, HV aware & approved. The rule of 'no re-freezing of previously frozen food' apparently doesn't apply to plain freshly frozen vegetables. It's more about meat, dairy & any home cooked stuff - eg you shouldn't make fresh meat stock, freeze it, then make something with it & freeze that. If concerned about anything in this area, ask your HV or check whatever books they gave you. Assume you're not in the UK as you've just been rushing round making baby food at this time of day... Not sure what post-birth literature you would have.

whosthis Fri 19-Apr-13 02:08:34

Thanks, ladies! Had not thought I would have had so many replies at this point of time. (*50shadesofbrown*, as you pointed out) smile

Yes, it's a bit crazy. I've been staying up till quite late recently just to get some my own stuff done! Will force ds to "nap" with me in the morning. Not very ethical, but that's what I decided!

Thanks for the comments...

Startail, I suspect I have always had a bit OCD symptom for bits of this and bits of that. Paranoid easily...

Done the puree, and expect he would be asking more spoons and more spoons!

Perhaps you could speak to your GP. This reaction to weaning isnt good. Its not meant to be a stressful time.

Babies are hardy wee things. As long as you are taking the normal precautions then yours will be fine. They need a certain level of germs to build their immune systems. A bit of salt wont make them shrivel up. In years to come they will be filling their faces with all manner of shit food!

Are you getting much sleep?

whosthis Fri 19-Apr-13 02:25:00

Theoretically, I know babies can cope one way or the other. Imagine there weren't so many rules when we were brought up. But I am mid thirty, and this is my first. I don't think I know how to be a capable parent any better than before he was born...

Same thing applies to cheese then, I guess.

No problem with sleep. He's ok in terms of sleep most of the nights (so far). I will make up my sleep in the morning. Have to study for qualification in these few hours actually - less distraction...

RichManPoorManBeggarmanThief Fri 19-Apr-13 02:26:39

The salt thing is basically to stop people weaning their kids on Bisto and mash. Re hygiene just follow the usual rules and they'll be fine

leedy Fri 19-Apr-13 12:10:14

Yeah, it's not that they need no salt at all (that would also be bad for them!), it's that they need less salt than an adult, so given that a lot of foods are inherently salty (cheese etc.) the advice is not to add any salt to food that doesn't have any. A small amount of added salt in the context of an overall balanced diet will do no harm at all.

ilovepowerhoop Sat 20-Apr-13 10:13:29

there will be a trace of salt in most things as it will be their natural salt content. What you need to watch for is added salt.

It is also fine to defrost foods (including raw meats, veg, etc), cook them and then refreeze them i.e. put raw meat (or frozen veg, etc) in freezer, defrost, cook, freeze leftovers for a later date. When reheating leftovers make sure you make them piping hot and then cool to eating temperature.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now