Talk

Advanced search

9 month old wont eat solids

(5 Posts)
meconiumhappens Thu 18-Apr-13 21:46:42

Lovely mumsnetters, after some advice for my friend.
Her 9 month is exclusively breastfed and despite lots of encouragement doesnt seem to want to wean.
She's a big baby, so obviously getting plenty of nutrition from breast milk. She bfs 3hrly and get very cross if left longer.
She has been trying to introduce solids since 6 months ish, tried all sorts of food from puree to solids, healthy stuff, treat stuff. She gags a lot even on quite runny stuff, and will often vomit. She drinks water happily from a free flow beaker but wont take milk from a bottle, she can get the milk out of the bottle but will scream with the milk in her mouth.
Poor friend getting a bit drained with all the breastfeeding and no light at end of tunnel.
Any words of wisdom?

Fairylea Thu 18-Apr-13 21:48:52

Finger foods? My ds is 10 months and won't touch puree etc. He just wants to feed himself. She could try very soft foods like omelette cut into tiny pieces or banana slightly mushed into tiny bits.

meconiumhappens Thu 18-Apr-13 21:52:29

has tried every kind of food. puree, porridge, yogs, finger food like toast/biscuits etc

MousyMouse Thu 18-Apr-13 21:56:29

dc2 was the same, just wasn't interested in solids until 10m.
I just offeres a bit of whatever we were having at mealtimes and one day suddenly dc started eating.
milk is the most important nutrition until about a year old, so tell your friend not to worry.

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 19-Apr-13 08:56:25

All this is totally normal so try to reassure your friend. If you can, get her on Mn and try to get her to go along to a local la Leche league group or other bfing support group.

If she relaxes and just offers food when she eats her dd will get there. You might also want to get her a copy of My Child Won't Ear by Carlos Gonzalez.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now