Talk

Advanced search

which cup to start with? (and other questions)

(9 Posts)

Starting weaning with DD2 in the middle of May, but trying to pick up bits here and there from now until then.

So which cups are the best for starting with at 6 months? DD1 was weaned on purees and a cup wasnt introduced until later but I am keen to try BLW with DD2 and would like to introduce a cup from the start.

Am I right in thinking that any water given should be cooled boiled tap water? And that bottled water is a no no?

If I am giving natural yoghurt, should I provide her with a spoon or just let her scoop with her hands? Or should I just feed her that? Should cutlery be there from day one to get her used to it or no?

How soon should eggs be introduced?

Does the 4 day rule advice still apply or do people not worry about that?

I have read up a bit. I know that they dont eat much to start and thats fine. Just trying to think ahead a bit!

Thanks!

nextphase Tue 16-Apr-13 07:19:08

If your prepared for mess initially, I'd go straight to a doidy cup

with a very basic sippy cup for out and about - and unbranded something likethis should be fine.

The thing not to do is a get a cup with a valve.

Yoghurt and things - various methods - hands, things to dip in (fruit, bread etc depending on what your serving), spoons or loaded spoons - ie you put the food on the spoon, and baby move towards mouth.

If your daughter is over 6 months when you start weaning, I think the only things to avoid are whole nuts, honey, and some people say runny eggs.

We went slowly with DS1 until we worked out what he reacted to, DS2 just got stuck in, and we had no reactions. With DS1 I wouldn't have restricted things if he hadn't reacted to the first meal he had....

How did he react? A rash on his face or more severely? That must have been very scary! DD1 has no allergies, but DD2 has a different dad (DP) and while he has no life or death allergies, he does have some sensitivities relating to his IBS.

That doidy cup is a brave move grin but going to give it a go! Why not! The other cup was what we used for DD1 so will get one of those too!

She will be 6 months on 13th may so starting then.

poocatcherchampion Tue 16-Apr-13 07:46:19

we just let her drink out of our glass to start probably from 4/5 months. then Gabe her a plastic beaker. she has ones with lids now too at 13 months but can drink fine frm anything

we spoon fed yogurt etc she can do it herself now, and gave everything from the start save nuts and honey

Dorisday13 Tue 16-Apr-13 07:53:18

We've gone straight for the doidy cup with tap water, I reasoned that she drinks water in the swimming pool so tap water was the least of our worries! I've been loading a spoon (and she intercepts spoon) and self feeds

nextphase Tue 16-Apr-13 07:57:56

We went red a swollen from nose to throat, and ended up at A&E. Not my finest moment!! And did scare me for a bit with weaning!
But looked like milk, and was OK when tested at 1yr old, so slowly started introducing, and he's been fine.

Should have said, cold tap water here as well - we didn't sterilise anything (no steriliser, as had never done bottles).

mummybare Tue 16-Apr-13 07:58:30

Tap water's fine from 6 mo but mineral water is a no-no.

Enjoy! BLW is so much fun!

CornishYarg Tue 16-Apr-13 09:14:08

We used a basic free flow lidded beaker but wish I'd known about the doidy when we started. Tap water is fine from 6 months but most bottled water isn't (mineral content too high I think).

With yogurt, I loaded the spoon up and handed it to DS. He was able to then feed himself with it from fairly early on. I didn't bother with any other cutlery till he was about a year as it just got lobbed over the side. But I may not be the best person to give advice on cutlery as, at 19 months, he still wants to use his hands for everything except yogurt...

Eggs were introduced early on although I made sure they were thoroughly cooked. I remember hard boiled egg being a favourite food at 7 months! I left a gap after giving "risky" foods for the first time e.g. gluten, eggs, dairy, but just went for it otherwise. I figured waiting days after each new food would mean it would be ages till he could share our food.

Thanks for replies. Bought the highchair today etc. Getting excited now. Shes still so tiny though. Scary how in only 4 weeks she will be sitting up and ready to eat!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now