Talk

Advanced search

Am I overfeeding solids?

(3 Posts)
SpanielFace Sat 13-Apr-13 18:42:00

DS is 7.5 months old, I started weaning him at 6 months & I'm doing purees plus finger foods, and he's having 3 meals a day. All the advice seems to be that he should stop when he's full but he doesn't! I never coax him to eat, he just keeps opening his mouth & demanding more! Twice he has kept going until he was sick shock.

He's now 21lbs, which is on the 75th centile, but I have no idea if this is right for him. He's not had his length measured since 12 weeks, when he was on the 0.4% centile & borderline failure-to-thrive (long story involving a missed tongue tie). To my eye he's starting to look fat, but the HV said not to cut back on food as he's growing, and he is quite tall I think. So I'm not sure what to do, and just wondered if anyone could advise me if I'm overfeeding compared to their baby.

I make the vast majority of his food but give the occasional pouch. I freeze it in 2oz pots so I can get a gauge on how much he's having volume wise, not so much calories. But a typical day might be like this:

7am wake up, 7oz formula

8am breakfast: 1 x weetabix with whole milk and a little fruit mashed in, or similar quantity of porridge.

12pm 4oz of homemade chicken casserole with veg or similar, or a whole stage 2 Ellas kitchen pouch (if we're out & about). A couple of tablespoons of fruit purée, or chunks of fruit.

3pm 7oz formula

5.30pm 4oz homemade veggie meal eg baby pasta with tomato sauce, homemade macaroni cheese, lentil bake. A baby fromage frais or fruit.

7pm 7oz formula.

I also give finger foods with every meal, toast or veg sticks, but I've not included them as very little actually gets eaten! He also has a few sips of water with every meal, although he's not great with the cup yet.

How does that sound compared to other 7 month olds?

Thanks in advance! smile

gardenpixie32 Sat 13-Apr-13 19:05:13

My girls are 6.5 months and they eat a similar amount of food to your DS. It also surprises me how small they are and how much they eat. They are both 25th centile. I wouldn't worry, seems normal to me.

SpanielFace Sat 13-Apr-13 19:17:20

Thank you for the reply. That's reassuring, it's so hard to judge & as he's my first, I really have nothing to compare him with!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now