Talk

Advanced search

Am I doing this right?

(5 Posts)
jumperooo Fri 12-Apr-13 13:32:46

DD is just over 6 months and I started weaning a couple of weeks ago. She doesn't seem to like puree, or the spoon, or both. She is generally uninterested in home made puree or pouches. She seems to like yogurt but starts pushing the spoon away after a few spoonfuls, plus yogurt seems to cause poo explosions so I want to cut back on that.

So I've tried putting food on the tray and she seems to pick up and put into her mouth quite well, but I think she is just sucking and eventually spitting out rather than swallowing anything. Does this sound ok? No teeth yet.

So far she's gummed on bread, broccoli, cheese, ham, baby biscotti and pancake. At the end of each feeding attempt she usually cries, I am not sure if she's had enough, or not enough, or if its for another reason. I am also unsure when is best to offer food, at the moment I'm doing it mid morning and mid afternoon.

She is able to drink a little water from a sippy cup and seems to get really excited about that.

Am I doing this right? She has 4x210ml and 1x180ml bottles in a 24 hour period still. I read that milk is still the main source of food for her until 12 months but also read in the NHS leaflet that she should be on three "meals" a day at 7 months.

confused

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 12-Apr-13 22:32:33

Shouldn't worry too much about the 3 meals a day by 7 months, some babies are, some aren't. It's just better to take it at yours and Los pace.

My dd was a spoon refuser too and you seem to be doing everything right. Have you tried giving Lo some of your food? Maybe leftovers?

And yes, I think crying is a sign she's had enough smile

The current device is to offer solids about an hour after her milk feed, so if she has her first bottle at 7am you might want to introduce breakfast at 8ish but don't rush if you don't want too.

Have you read the Mn info on weaning? It's very good smile

stargirl1701 Fri 12-Apr-13 22:38:03

Jumperoo, I've got a 7 month old DD and we're having exactly the same experience grin I'm just offering as much variety as possible and moving to 3 'offerings' from next Monday. They've still got 2 more months before I expect to see milk feeds reduce.

jumperooo Sat 13-Apr-13 09:53:19

Great thank you :-)

AnythingNotEverything Sat 13-Apr-13 10:00:37

Sounds like you're offering a great variety! I think the des at the start of wearing is simply to get them used to the new skills of chewing and swallowing lumper food, plus feeding themselves. They don't need any nutrition from it until nearer their first birthday, so don't worry about the volume of food eaten just yet.

I'd keep going - offer regularly, don't make a fuss about finishing a plate full. Just enjoy h the development of new skills!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now