Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Getting quite confused about peanut butter...

(16 Posts)
ElphabaTheGreen Wed 28-Nov-12 19:50:54

I seem to have heard so many things about peanut butter and peanuts in general.

I would like to eat peanut butter. I would like to give BFed 6mo DS peanut butter.

DH has asthma, eczema and hay fever. AFAIK there are no nut allergies in either side of the family.

Can I or can I not eat peanut butter (or other peanut containing foods) and/or feed them to DS?

jennimoo Wed 28-Nov-12 20:03:15

I don't know the answer allergies-wise but I avoided giving it when DD was small as thought it was a bit salty for little ones.

feekerry Wed 28-Nov-12 20:27:39

Hmm i've never heard or read any reason not to give peanut butter. My 7 month ebf blw dd likes it on toast!

Pascha Wed 28-Nov-12 20:33:27

No reason whatsoever to withhold peanut butter if there's no history of peanut allergy. The only things to be careful with before a year are whole nuts (choking) and honey (botulism).

KittieCat Wed 28-Nov-12 20:36:05

I've given it to DS since he was weaning (from six months).He loves it and it's packed with protein. As long as you get one without salt and sugar it's good for them and popular!

KittieCat Wed 28-Nov-12 20:37:12

Ps. DS loves cashew nut butter even more!

TittyBojangles Wed 28-Nov-12 21:50:30

Ds loved cashew and almond butter too.

ElphabaTheGreen Wed 28-Nov-12 23:15:23

I've heard various bits of advice (including in the 0-5 book IIRC) that peanuts should be avoided either directly or via BM where there is a family history of asthma/eczema/hay fever. I avoided peanuts throughout pregnancy as the midwife told me to for the same reason.

Do you think I can ease up and get in some reduced salt/sugar stuff for DS then? And the proper stuff for me. And maybe some Snickers bars

FredFredGeorge Wed 28-Nov-12 23:16:30

Peanut butter is a good food for babies without allergies. Ones which are nothing but minced up peanuts are best but are relatively rare in the shops.

BertieBotts Wed 28-Nov-12 23:18:06

I'm pretty sure current advice is that it's fine. But no whole nuts as it's a choking hazard (doesn't apply to you obv grin)

Belmo Wed 28-Nov-12 23:21:20

My dd has eczema, as do I, so I avoided until 12 months then thought sod it it'll be fine. One dash to A&E later, we've now got to carry epi-pens everywhere...
I'm sure your DS will be totally fine with it and we're just unlucky but thought I'd share the other side! Might be worth double checking with your GP, or at least make sure you're not on your own the first time.

Wallison Wed 28-Nov-12 23:24:47

I think the current advice on allergies is that avoiding things isn't recommended because it makes no difference. But I could be wrong. Ask your health visitor. If it is ok, then you can get the type called something like Good Earth or Whole Earth or something like that from Holland & Barrett that doesn't have any added sugar or salt. And it's actually even nicer than SunPat (which I used to love)!

SavoirFaire Wed 28-Nov-12 23:26:00

It is fine. DC1 has various allergies and nasty eczema which he had from being teeny tiny. Consequently I avoided giving him peanut butter til nearer one and made sure I had piriton at hand, just in case of a reaction. When he had it, he loved it, had no reaction, and it is now the only thing he will eat on sandwiches! However, DC2 who had no allergies at all has had it since 6 months.

SavoirFaire Wed 28-Nov-12 23:27:19

p.s. we have Whole EArth, you can get it from WAitrose (most supermarkets actually). You don't need to go to Holland & Barrett. SunPat is sickly sweet.

You might also want to look at Almond Butter and Cashew Butter, which you can get from health food shops, is also lovely and there are fewer allergy issues (although some people can still be allergic).

Pascha Thu 29-Nov-12 07:37:22

I buy Whole Earth on in Tesco. Much nicer than Sunpat.

ohfunnyface Thu 29-Nov-12 07:45:16

My sister makes almond butter herself- don't think it's difficult?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now