Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Finger food ideas but no dairy or fish?

(5 Posts)
karensb Tue 13-Nov-12 20:30:10

My dd is 7 months old and fed a mixture of purée, mashed food and finger food.
He is great at handling finger food and really enjoys it, so I would like to give him more.

However I am struggling for ideas

Need to avoid dairy as dd has severe dairy intolerance and he has reacted badly to cod so avoiding all fish.

The other problem is I am vegetarian and would rather not give him meat as finger food.

Any ideas? Especially for compete finger food meals.

Drladybird Wed 14-Nov-12 09:00:43

I remember being in a similar situation. These are the types of things that I offered:
Chickpea patties/ Falafel type finger foods (although have to watch out for salt if shop by rather than make), steamed broccoli, bits of avocado, scrambled egg, soup in a beaker/sippy cup, tofu based mousses like this one but without the chocolate.
I have heard that the baby led weaning recipe book also has some good ideas so maybe that is worth checking out...
Good luck!

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 14-Nov-12 13:18:38

Basically anything can be finger food, especially if you are wanting to offer complete meals. For instance if you are having pasta for lunch and he is ok with the ingredients, there is no reason why he can't pick that up with his fingers and eat it.

The babyledweaning site does have some good recipes too, have a look here.

Most supermarkets will also be able to give you a list of their dairy free foods and have you tried posting on the Allergies board, you might get some good suggestions there. About the only thing I know that makes good finger food and is dairy free are Party Rings grin.

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 14-Nov-12 13:40:49

How about something like this or this?

When you say you'd rather not give him meat as a finger food, are you ok to give him meat in meals or is he vegetarian? Just asking as my DDs favourite finger food at that age was sausage!

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 14-Nov-12 13:41:49

Sorry, this was the second link. Both of the links are more of complete meals though, rather specific "finger food".

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now