Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Milk on holiday in Cape Verde

(5 Posts)
Beamae Mon 12-Nov-12 11:15:49

We are going to Cape Verde for two weeks with our 14 month old twins. They are still having 3 bottles each a day, of full fat milk. I have contacted the hotel to make sure that we will be able to get milk there, but they have said that the island and the hotel are only supplied with long life, low fat UHT.

Has anyone else come across this? I'm not sure whether to take follow on milk formula for the two weeks or whether to use the hotel's milk. Or whether to mix the two? I'm obviously worried that they won't take to the flavour of either formula or UHT. Or powdered milk? What would you advise?

MilkRunningOutAgain Mon 12-Nov-12 12:41:05

We had difficulty getting fresh milk in Spain this summer and the dcs didn't like the UHT on offer. With 14 month olds for 2 weeks, I think I would try them on formula to make sure they will drink it prior to going away, and take powder and cups with me to last the whole holiday. Would it be possible to swap them to cups or anything that's easy to wash up, rather than bottles, before you go? At least they are old enough not to need a steriliser! I would also let them try the milk at the hotel when you are there and if they like it, let them have it every now and again, just to save on making up feeds and washing up!

Good luck, we have no holiday time left this year and I'm envious of anyone going away!

Beamae Mon 12-Nov-12 13:29:20

Thanks for replying. So the bacteria in the formula won't affect them anymore so I won't need to sterilise?

Flisspaps Mon 12-Nov-12 20:21:31

You use 70c water to sterilise the formula, just give bottles and tests a good wash.

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 12-Nov-12 20:47:54

Agree with fliss, formula isn't sterile and you need the water at 70. Between 12 months and 24 months the NHS recommend 300ml of full fat cows milk per day.

How about getting their intake to that and use the formula? I wouldn't use the follow on though as the NHS don't seem to recommend it at any age, plus the extra iron may upset their digestive system if they're not used to it.

Have a lovely holiday and let us know how you get on envygrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now