Talk

Advanced search

Clueless, when does a 19 month old stop getting milk feeds

(4 Posts)
Tweet2tweet Sun 11-Nov-12 20:31:17

Hi there
Our DC is now 19 months old and has been unwell all week. Doc told us to stop milk feeds (we have been using toddler formula as DC won't touch cows milk).

This wasn't actually as tough as I thought it would be! So now that DC is getting better we thought we'd try to reduce the milk feeds. However does anyone know when milk feeds should be reduced? What should replace them?

Previously we were giving:
First thing 150ml
Mid day snack 150ml
Dinner 90ml
Bed time 150ml

We are thinking about changing to:
First thing 150ml
BEd time 150ml

Does that sound right? Feel clueless!!!!

vodkaanddietirnbru Sun 11-Nov-12 20:35:20

my 2 had dropped to am and pm milk by 11 months old. The recommendation is 300mls from 1 year and that includes milk in cereal and other dairy as well as drinks of milk.

Tweet2tweet Sun 11-Nov-12 20:47:25

Ooops- I've been over doing it then! thanks for advice vodkaanddietirnbru

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 12-Nov-12 20:55:19

Agree with vodka, its 300 ml of full fat cows milk per day from 12 to 24 months.

I would replace the daytime milk with a snack and a drink.

I'd also swap the toddler milk for cows milk. I know he doesn't like it but once he realises its that or nothing he will probably start drinking it. You can always start watering down his toddler milk with cows milk so that eventually its just cows milk.

Toddler milk isn't recommend at any age, well apart from by the manufacturers obviously smile and in fact their is some research that follow on milks can impair development.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now