Talk

Advanced search

10 month old refusing any savoury apart from toast and cucumber!

(10 Posts)
frankietwospots Sun 11-Nov-12 14:21:46

Hi, my DS is 10 months and has suddenly started rejecting spoon fed meals. I started weaning at six months, started off with BLW and then gradually introduced spoon feeding, mainly to get the job done although he will happily pick up the spoon himself if it's got yoghurt on it. He has been eating fine up until now - beef casserole, lentil and veg mix, pork and apple etc.. - but suddenly he is refusing any savoury food on a spoon. He will have porridge or Oatibix for breakfast on a spoon and will happily take fromage frais and Greek yoghurt off a spoon. He also loves fruit. The only savoury things he is eating at the moment are toast and cucumber sticks! I'm worried that he isn't getting the variety that he needs and that he is somehow taking control of the situation. He just doesn't seem to be that curious about food and when I put down something new, he won't even pick it up. Today I offered strips of roast chicken, potato wedges (he ate them last week) and carrots. He barely looked at them and then threw it all on the floor for our Jack Russell to eat! I'm leaving decent gaps between breastfeeding and meals so I don't think he's full. After taking him out of the highchair and then back into the kitchen when he seemed hungry again (he starts biting my shoulder), he ended up having 2 strips of toast, a banana, Greek yoghurt and a piece of apple. I guess that isn't such a bad mix of foods but it's the repetition that concerns me. Would love to hear if anyone has any tactics for how I get him to eat something other than toast...He just doesn't seem remotely interested in anything he doesn't recognise.

UnderwaterBasketWeaving Sun 11-Nov-12 14:31:41

Food is for fun until one.

As long as he's having plenty of his usual milk, let him eat toast & cucumber. There's nothing in solid food that he won't be getting from milk in much more balanced quantities and far easier to digest.

The neck biting could be indicative of teething, which might be the root of it all.

Try to relax about it. Why not try sitting him in your lap while you eat. You might find he's happy to help himself to what he sees you eating, but is suspicious of this weird goop that no one else eats (I would be!). That's just worked for our 19mo btw!

UnderwaterBasketWeaving Sun 11-Nov-12 14:33:10

Oh, and there's a point where they realise that it's hilarious fun to feed the cat/dog/ferret, instead of eating themselves. We had to shut the cat out for a few weeks (of the room at tea time, not the whole house, that would be mean!)

HappySunflower Sun 11-Nov-12 14:35:24

Can you try introducing houmous to see if he will dip cucumber/toast into that?

frankietwospots Sun 11-Nov-12 17:27:03

Thanks!

HappySunflower - He used to like houmous so I could try that again. Worth a go.

UnderwaterBasketWeaving - I know I need to relax about it but I get so uptight and annoyed when he doesn't eat which is wrong of me. I just tried sitting him on my lap with a strip of chicken and he just laughed! Better than crying I suppose.

HappySunflower Sun 11-Nov-12 18:50:20

Dairylea- softened a bit with the back of a spoon, is also a good one.

My little girl likes sticks of apples which she dips in yoghurt/fromage frais

In fact anything mushy that will make a very satisfying mess is worth a try!

lljkk Sun 11-Nov-12 18:51:19

You have a 10 month old that will eat cucumber? envy

Haha lljkk was thinking the same. The wanting to take control is normal. They want to be independent but also at the same time lack skill to do it. It can get quite bad in te toddler years. (Try putting on a nappy on an unwilling toddler)! The going off food because of teething, cold, whatever is also common. Just relax.

frankietwospots Sun 11-Nov-12 21:02:50

ha ha, he LOVES cucumber! If there was a world shortage of cucumber and melon, I'd be screwed! So this evening's dinner was a finger of toasted muffin, two Organix carrot puff things (one of which I covered in the cod and sweet potato meal I'd made for him) and a cucumber stick followed by two Ella's Kitchen rice puddings and a nibble of apple. I don't think his behaviour is down to teething or a cold. In fact, it could be much simpler than that. He was eating fine until last week when he had a lentils, veg and cheese combo and projectile vomited it all back up at bedtime. Could this be why he doesn't want proper meals any more? He was perky as anything after he'd been sick so he wasn't traumatised at the time. I think there's definitely an element of wanting to be independent. When I show him the bowl with the food in, he grabs the spoon and starts digging but of course most of it ends up on the floor or in his hair.

UnderwaterBasketWeaving Sun 11-Nov-12 21:39:59

Ah, the ol' mashed potato hairdo! Great fun!

Seriously, as long as he's having milk, he won't starve. Eventually he'll do more eating amongst the playing.

(I'm pretty sure drawing in spilled yoghurtis on the EYFS curriculum grin )

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now