Talk

Advanced search

Is there a better way? Weaning

(11 Posts)
GingerPCatt Wed 07-Nov-12 16:28:45

My DS is 16 mo and has a swallowing sensitivity. He was on 4-5 9oz bottles a day and hardly eating any solids. We saw a speech therapist a couple of weeks ago to check his swallowing. She advised us to drastically cut down on his bottles. He now has a morning and midday 5 oz bottle and then a 9oz bottle at bedtime. We've been doing this for a week and a half and seen little improvement. He does eat a bit more than he used to but he's a miserable grump most of the time. He used to be a happy energetic boy but now he tantrums at anything and is low energy.
Has anybody been through this? Does it get better? I just want my happy little guy back! Should I keep persevering and hope he gets the idea that he needs to eat? Or is there another way? I'm starting to lose hope.

mummysmellsofsick Wed 07-Nov-12 16:31:10

Gosh I'm no expert but it sounds like he's going hungry. I'd up the milk again and ask for a second opinion.

mummysmellsofsick Wed 07-Nov-12 16:33:37

I've heard this is good www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1780660057/ref=redir_mdp_mobile

GingerPCatt Wed 07-Nov-12 16:35:06

I do think a lot of his current grump is due to hunger but I don't know what I can do to convince him that he needs to eat. I talked to a HV yesterday and she agreed with the speech therapist, but I don't think she really understood how little he eats.
I'm having a hard time emotionally thinking that I'm starving my baby sad but I don't know what to do.

GingerPCatt Wed 07-Nov-12 16:36:18

Book ordered- express delivery. Hopefully it will give me some ideas of how to get him to eat. Thanks

mummysmellsofsick Wed 07-Nov-12 16:38:00

Although it sounds like it isn't a psychological problem/ battlefield in your case... Might she grow out of it with time? Afaik it's mainly iron they need which is insufficient in milk, so if you can get some iron containing solids down her and just keep up the bottles it might be ok to wait and see if she grows out of it? Hope someone with more experience can help you. My DS eats fairly little too but can eat fine when he wants. I bf on demand still because I'm crap at saying no

mummysmellsofsick Wed 07-Nov-12 16:39:08

Sorry HE not she! I cant see the op when I type on my phoneblush

mummysmellsofsick Wed 07-Nov-12 16:44:54

Oh, and my DS eats much better if I allow him to make a massive mess. Today he had cheesy pasta straight out of the saucepan with a wooden spoon to make more mess it more fun and he sat on the kitchen floor spreading cheesy goodness everywhere and having a great time. I'm sure some of it went in. Actually come to think of it, I still have to wash the floor...

GingerPCatt Wed 07-Nov-12 17:12:56

I think you're right about messy food = better some how. DS is eating a yogurt and I'm breathing deeply as he spreads is around the room and all over. Must focus on the fact that he's eating!! smile

GingerPCatt Wed 07-Nov-12 17:15:08

New discovery, the cat likes yogurt! Maybe I won't have to clean it all up myself. grin

mummysmellsofsick Wed 07-Nov-12 17:39:02

Yes deep breaths grin I'm known as 'Monica' for my OCD tidiness so this is a challenge for me too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now