Talk

Advanced search

First BLW night tips...

(12 Posts)
Pongwiffy Tue 06-Nov-12 16:33:03

....tonight we're taking the plunge and doing carrot, broccoli and apple for DD and we'll let her have them instead of wrestling it out of her hands! We've watched red cross baby choking first aid videos. Any tips? She's 24 weeks, has been grabbing our food for the past month, has excellent motor skills, head control etc and doesn't slump in her highchair.

To be honest I'm expecting all of it to be thrown at the dog, as her favourite activity this week is to launch missiles at him. grin

Themobstersknife Tue 06-Nov-12 16:37:12

I wouldn't give her raw apple on her first attempt, as little bits can break off and cause choking. Try slightly cooking it. Other stuff likely to be well received. She will probably amaze you with how well she does. No real tips, just enjoy! Have done it with both my DDs and has worked brilliantly!

Pongwiffy Tue 06-Nov-12 16:43:59

I forgot to say that, I'd got lovely big cox apples to soften in the microwave and then let cool down blush DH is nervous about it, more than me. I'm not going to ignore her but will just let her get on with it, if that makes sense?!

Pongwiffy Tue 06-Nov-12 17:15:02

Also, what type/brand of cup would you recommend?

CMOTDibbler Tue 06-Nov-12 18:40:29

Best thing with apples is to get a whole apple and then take a bite out of it - then hand the whole apple over. They can then scrape away at it without generating big lumps. Remember, you are teaching her to eat, so things that would be soft are soft, and things that would be crunchy are crunchy iyswim.

Remember to sit with her and eat the same things yourself so you reinforce what to do - pick up, bite, chew, swallow etc.

I used very basic Tesco sippy cups with the valve removed so they were totally freeflow

I like the tommee tippee first cup.
www.tommeetippee.co.uk/product/first_cup_4_months/

They also have beakers using the same flip top. Makes it easy to have the same cup when going out. There are 2 sizes of beakers too. I started with the smaller one, and then got a bigger one when DD got bigger hands.

No advice about apples as DD still won't eat apples and pears. Iirc I used berries, stone fruits and melons a lot in the early days. And mini burgers, meatballs, croquettes and goujons type for meat. It's just they are convenient for batch cooking and freezing.

llamallama Tue 06-Nov-12 19:21:17

I found bread/toast or breadsticks really popular to start with! Thensav

llamallama Tue 06-Nov-12 19:21:48

Opps sorry

Then savoury muffins were fab!

Pongwiffy Tue 06-Nov-12 20:10:04

Well we've done it! Broccoli bits all over her! Carrot was sucked, a lot, gummed, some bitten off, chewed, gagged and spat out. grin Best thing ever.

Themobstersknife Tue 06-Nov-12 20:53:34

Yeah we bought loads of cups but ended up back with the plain old Tommee Tippee sippy cups. Sounds like you did great!

Pongwiffy Wed 07-Nov-12 17:57:36

We shared an apple at lunch which she adored, much more than a banana. It's so much fun....and mess!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now