Talk

Advanced search

baby doesnt like next stage milk

(14 Posts)
sleepdeprived62 Mon 29-Oct-12 20:32:11

My dd is 8 months old. We were using Aptamil stage 1 formula but was advised to go to next stage as it contains more iron etc but she doesnt seem to like this milk at all.we have tried for a few days now, but im always going back to stage 1 so at least she is getting some milk.Should i keep trying her with the follow on milk or just stick with stage 1 for now?she is my first baby so not sure what is best.

SecretNutellaFix Mon 29-Oct-12 20:34:00

you don't have to go up to the next stage milk at all.

It was invented to get around the advertising laws.

yourheadonastick Mon 29-Oct-12 20:34:45

As nutella says.

sleepdeprived62 Mon 29-Oct-12 20:36:40

sorry what do you mean advertising laws?

Fairylea Mon 29-Oct-12 20:37:59

It's actually better if they stay on the first milk. Nutritionally it's better.

ceeveebee Mon 29-Oct-12 20:38:15

Who were you advised by? My HV told me not to bother changing as there is no benefit and unnecessary.

sleeplessinderbyshire Mon 29-Oct-12 20:40:29

next stage milk is designed for the sole reason of getting round the WHO infant milk advertising code (ie it's for babies aged over 6 months so they can legally advertise it and they get mums of younger babies sucked in and raise brand awareness) I would stick with stage 1 (my dd was mostly BF but had occasional formula at nursery/if I was away overnight and she had stage 1 aptamil until she went onto cows milk at 12 months)

FarelyKnuts Mon 29-Oct-12 20:41:07

Aptimel regular stuff is fine. Follow on milk is a scam.

sleepdeprived62 Mon 29-Oct-12 20:43:44

Thanks guys, Stage 1 it is. Where do you hear about this stuff?Honestly if I didnt have all this advice i would be lost. Thanks again

ScreamingManAndGoryOn Mon 29-Oct-12 20:43:56

My DD and DS both stayed on Stage 1 milk all the way through.

As the others have said, follow on milk was invented as they're not allowed to advertise stage 1 formula.

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 29-Oct-12 21:20:52

Glad you've decided to stay with stage one. The NHS recommend first stage for ff babies from 0 to 12 months and then 300 mls of full fat cows milk per day from 12 to 24 months.

I'd be interested to know who told you to swap too as its not the NHS official line and there is actually some evidence that the extra iron in follow on milk can be harmful.

CreamOfTomatoSoup Tue 30-Oct-12 08:36:46

It costs the same as stage 1 so how exactly are they scamming people?

BalloonSlayer Tue 30-Oct-12 08:44:02

wow this is interesting.

Cunning bastards!

Cream I agree that scam is the wrong word really. But being unable to advertise a milk for babies under 6 months old and therefore inventing a "special" milk for babies over 6 months old that you CAN advertise, when no such "special" milk is necessary is certainly misleading the customer. Given that advertising is not meant to mislead, I am surprised they can get away with it.

KatAndKit Wed 31-Oct-12 10:38:56

It might normally cost the same as stage one but they are allowed to sell it on special offer if they want to. Follow on milk only exists so they can get their brand awareness out there. They can do adverts for formula in the baby magazines and on the telly, so long as they show an older baby and a picture of a tin of follow on. However, they are really advertising to pregnant people and new mums - people with six month old babies have already made their brand choice of formula. If follow on didn't exist they wouldn't be able to advertise at all. No adverts would keep the cost of formula down.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now