Talk

Advanced search

Need suggestions for filling nutritious food that's easy for 7mo to digest

(10 Posts)
ElmMum Sat 27-Oct-12 12:11:04

DD2 is eating brilliantly (she's big and hungry and happy to try everything we give her). We're doing a mixture of BLW and spoon feeding sloppier stuff (porridge, yoghurt etc) but not pureeing as she's very competent with lumps and textures.

Trouble is, her already not great sleeping has got worse since she started on solids. So instead of going down fairly easily at 7pm and then sleeping til dreamfeed at 10.30/11pm, going back to sleep for a couple of hours and then starting the constant night-waking til morning, now she's unsettled from bedtime til the night-waking starts!

It seems to be stomach ache - lots of raising her legs and banging them down, sometimes grizzling and seeming in pain, sometimes farting (but not always). Sometimes waking up fully and needing to be held upright for comfort.

It's not teething because she already had 8 teeth and there aren't any more coming at the moment.

We've cut out bread and wheat pasta in case she was having trouble digesting wheat. But now I'm worried that if she only has (for e.g.) steamed courgette, rice cakes, bits of avocado, fruit etc for tea, we're going to go backwards to the time when she needed to be fed in the night. (The constant night-waking isn't hunger, btw, it's just habit. She's not interested in a bottle at night).

Sorry for long rambling post (tired!). Not sure my question is clear...

What's good and nutritious (so not just filling her up with stodge that has no nutritional value), but which won't keep her awake in bed with stomach pain??

TIA

DrSeuss Sat 27-Oct-12 20:06:47

Carrot/sweet potato or similar mixed with baby rice or ordinary rice bulks the food up but is easily digested.

OpheliasWeepingWillow Sun 28-Oct-12 01:15:49

Risotto made with low salt stock cubes? I add skinned roasted red pepper and carrots.
Baby pasta with cheese sauce?
Red lentil and coconut milk daahl?

NapOfTheDamned Sun 28-Oct-12 01:26:47

Jacket potato or mashed potato with cream cheese.
Cereal and Greek yoghurt.
White fish potato cakes.
Roast squash and grated cheddar
Egg custard and baked apple.
Scrambled egg and buttered spelt toast.
Oatmeal porridge and stewed pear with a dash of cream
Sweet potato baked wedges and yoghurt or cottage cheese dip with a few mild chipped herbs like basil.

ElmMum Sun 28-Oct-12 12:38:11

Thanks all. Some good suggestions :-)

Drladybird Sun 28-Oct-12 12:39:18

Millet is a good nutritional grain. When DD was little, I used to give her a millet with cheese and cauliflower mash up. She used to enjoy that.
This red lentil and quinoa dahl has always been a winner. Quinoa is another brilliant grain.
I'd try anything new at lunch and then see how she goes with it. IF it doesn't cause her trouble after a few times then maybe it would be good to serve in the evening.

Iggly Sun 28-Oct-12 12:42:17

Less fruit and veg, more protein like chicken and potatoes type stuff.

Ease off on the quantity too. I'd just have her graze on tit bits or one meal a day if you must.

And ease off on the dairy too. Stick to her normal milk.

I have two who has issues with solids even though they loved eating. Protein and carb based meals (not much wheat though) did the trick. Not too much wind inducing stuff like onions, broccoli, peas, leeks etc (I actually banned them until they were older).

Iggly Sun 28-Oct-12 12:42:49

Oh and lentils gave them dreadful wind too!

Drladybird Sun 28-Oct-12 20:27:10

Mine never had a problem with wind from lentils, onions etc. Every child is different. What matters is working out what works for your little one.

ElmMum Mon 29-Oct-12 14:40:07

Thanks all. We are cutting out dairy (other than formula) for the time being, to see if that makes a difference. And will continue to avoid wheat. Fingers crossed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now