Talk

Advanced search

5 month old

(4 Posts)
bitbot Fri 26-Oct-12 19:43:31

I was aiming to start weaning at 6 months, as have read lots of research articles surrounding the reasons why this is recommended....however, my 5 month old has suddenly increased her milk intake to 35oz a day and still seems hungry (now formula fed, was ebf until 17weeks stopped for medical treatment I needed). She can sit unaided, easily does hand to mouth, and is very interested in food grabbing at it. Today in Starbucks she grabbed a chunk of my muffin, put it straight in her mouth, swallowed it and grabbed another bit....to me that sounds like very "baby led". I have always been a bit sceptical about the magic 6 months as babies develop differently, but was more thinking about 2 weeks either side of 6 months been the margin of developmental variance. Should I wait another few weeks or is my baby telling me she is ready?

aimingtobeaperfectionist Fri 26-Oct-12 19:49:50

I would say go with your instincts, if you feel she is ready start with small amounts and see how you get on. She's not far off 6 months and like you said, each baby is different.

bitbot Sun 28-Oct-12 15:07:52

Thanks for your reply...tried food yesterday and clearly ready...full bowl of porridge eaten so quickly... Was grabbing the spoon to feed herself and tday finger food of parsnip and carrot boiled batons went straight in smile

aimingtobeaperfectionist Sun 28-Oct-12 15:51:22

Ah good. As long as milks still the main food, id just give a few bits of what you're eating (if suitable) each meal time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now