Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Just mush please! Aversion to lumps

(23 Posts)
PandaSpaniel Fri 26-Oct-12 18:01:27

My baby is 7 and a half months and on three meals a day and has roughly 20 - 25 oz of formula a day.

I started to wean him at 5 months and he took to it straight away.

My problem is since he had tonsillitis a couple of weeks ago he wont have any lumps in his food. I am back to almost liquidising everything. I am concerned as my DS1 had the same problem and was still the same at one year old and can still be fussy with food (aged 7.) I have forgotten how difficult it can be weaning a baby.

He will still happily sits there munching on finger foods, so I don't know why he wont have lumpy food??

Any ideas on how I can get him to eat lumpier foods?

DrSeuss Fri 26-Oct-12 18:46:36

Feed him lumps. When he can eat them or be hungry, he'll eat them.

PandaSpaniel Fri 26-Oct-12 18:47:54

He should be able to manage them at this age shouldn't he? I am not pushing him into something he can't cope with?

DrSeuss Fri 26-Oct-12 19:08:17

He can eat finger foods so he can eat lumps. He could do it previously, he's just being lazy! Give him the lumpy food, if he refuses, take it away but don't give him smoothstuff. He will soon learn1

PandaSpaniel Sat 27-Oct-12 20:28:30

I guess I am being soft with him because he is still poorly.

What foods were you feeding your baby at this age people??

PandaSpaniel Sat 27-Oct-12 20:34:43

Just to add, am a little confused with the new (ish) guidance on milk. Should he still need infant formula or just cows milk? Didn't have this problem with DS1 as he had soya formula up to the age of 2 due to allergy.

Handsfulloffun Sat 27-Oct-12 20:36:46

What finger foods does he have ? If that is what he is enjoying I would carry on like that. He will get back in to swing of things again, more than likely just a phase.

At around that age my DT's had pretty much what we were eating, but I would give them chunky bits of veg, meat etc instead of small pieces.

AlphabetiSpaghetti Sat 27-Oct-12 20:38:18

My son stopped eating anything vaguely textured 3 times when he was cutting his first teeth. He stopped eating all solids at 7.5 months for nearly 3 wks. I sought advice on MN as I was so worried and upset. After lots of reassurance that he'll be fine, I started on very puréed food again, taking it very slowly to move on to lumps. Then he cut his fourth tooth and there was no stopping him. Now at 13 months he'll eat anything and everything.

Take it slowly. He's still really young. My LO wasn't on 3 meals a day until he was about 8 months after the stopping eating fiasco. Good luck.

Handsfulloffun Sat 27-Oct-12 20:38:27

At 7 months he will still need formula - up until 1ish i think.

melliebobs Sat 27-Oct-12 20:40:33

At the end of the day he's 7.5 months. Milk should still be main source or nutrition and as 'they' say "food is fun until they are one" so if they are happy with finger food give them that

Dd is around the same age n just has what we have n then topped up with bm

PandaSpaniel Sat 27-Oct-12 20:49:50

I am guilty of relying too much on baby food.

Its bad I know but I have post natal depression and have not been eating well so have relied on jars for lil one. Please don't judge me for that, I am now getting better and trying to introduce family foods.

I think it may be down to teething and feeling generally unwell that has put him off.

PandaSpaniel Sat 27-Oct-12 21:02:07

I feel scared of just sitting him down to maybe a sunday lunch. Seriously can a baby this age cope with just cut up chicken etc.

Handsfulloffun Sat 27-Oct-12 21:03:56

It sounds like your doing a fab job, dont be hard on hard on yourself.

They all go through phases of not eating much - my 2 only ate yoghurts and weetabix when they were teething.

Handsfulloffun Sat 27-Oct-12 21:10:49

At that age my 2 used to just chew and suck on meat, rather than chew and swallow. The rest I cut in to little chip size portions so they could hold them easily - a bit like other finger food really.

Handsfulloffun Sat 27-Oct-12 21:13:25

Not that here is nothing wrong with blending his food, if thats what works with you and him keep going with it.

Handsfulloffun Sat 27-Oct-12 21:18:14

blush anything not nothing

Davinaaddict Sat 27-Oct-12 21:23:14

We give our DD Sunday lunches and she's just shy of 7 months smile We're doing baby led weaning so we don't purée anything for her. She literally joins in with our meals. We all sit at the table and we just cut up whatever we're having into chip shapes if necessary and let her get on with it. She makes loads of mess but eats a fair amount considering she only has one part of a tooth coming through grin A lot of it goes in, gets mushed around and spat out, but it'll go back in again smile

I would say if your DS is happy with finger food, then just cut up some of your dinner and let him have some. Maybe read the BLW books to see if you want to try it? Good luck smile

PandaSpaniel Sat 27-Oct-12 22:47:31

Thank you everyone. Think I will try just giving a bit of meat and veg in strips easy to hold and see how he gets on...

Will update.

Flisspaps Sat 27-Oct-12 22:53:26

Yy to reading up on Baby Led Weaning if he'll have finger foods - if he controls what he eats rather than being fed lumps, he may eat more and you can stop pureeing!

Blue81 Mon 29-Oct-12 21:36:38

He is a lil monkey. Tried feeding him from a jar today with some veg as finger food. He squished up and made a right mess ate the veg but flat out refused the food from the jar. I then blended the food from the jar to a smooth consistency and he ate the lot.

I feel bad for giving in but surely milk alone wont give him all the vitamins he needs at this stage? I am making sure I give him a good variety of fresh meat and veg now as finger food but he doesn't actually eat much of it, it tends to find its way onto the floor more than anything.

Will have a read around the topic of baby led weaning though, I pooh pooh it before but seems my little one has other ideas!

mamij Mon 29-Oct-12 21:42:32

Milk is actually their main source of nutrients until they are one. Like mellie said - food is fun until they are one.

I think HV like to hear our DCs are eating x number of meal etc. But to be honest, I wouldn't worry too much. Let your DC guide you - they won't go hungry intentionally!

Blue81 Mon 29-Oct-12 22:03:00

mamij That's good to know. I am just a natural worrier. Especially when it comes to my two sons smile

I know he isn't going to starve himself, am trying to relax and just enjoy watching him squish food everywhere lol

Handsfulloffun Tue 30-Oct-12 07:59:02

We found this baby led weaning website really helpful. I didnt think it would work either but it does. It is messy though - get ready to scrape spag bol off the ceiling.
As you said a lot of it is about relaxing and let him squish food.
Good Luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now