Talk

Advanced search

How to show DS he can eat the finger foods?

(7 Posts)
sharond101 Thu 25-Oct-12 23:12:07

DS has been getting pureed vegetables, ready brek, baby rice etc for 2 weeks now and is doing really well when we spoon feed him. He tries to take the spoon too so have given him another to hold and practice with. I would like to try some BLW and I have offered him pasta, toast and cucumber by placing it on his high chair or handing it to him. He hasn't yet realised he can eat these things and usually ends up dropping them and grabbing anything else inedible he can find and stuffing that into his mouth instead. Do I wait until he works it out himself or encourage the food towards his mouth whilst he holds it?

CookingOne Thu 25-Oct-12 23:45:13

How old is your son? He should be about 6 months if you are offering him finger foods. Is he showing an interest in your food? Are you eating with him? Continue offering him finger foods, eat with him so that he can see what you do, and he will start to eat the finger foods sooner or later. The BLW book and the River Cottage baby and toddler cookbook have lots of good information...

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 30-Oct-12 12:31:25

How old is he? Could you just put the food on his tray and chat to him while you eat? Part of weaning is letting them explore these things for themselves smile.

banishingthebabybrain Tue 30-Oct-12 14:57:51

I was (am!) having this problem with DD - she's 7.5 months and although she plays with finger foods, she rarely eats them. The other babies are all chomping down on rice cakes, bits of fruit etc, and she is either busy destroying them by squishing them between her hands, or throwing them to the floor! However, in the last week of so we have had a bit of a break through as she has eaten some toast squares and bits of muffin with cream cheese on them.

It's frustrating though because I want to be able to give her fruit/cooked veg sticks to feed herself with rather than resorting to purees, but she just likes the feel of squishing them and will not put them anywhere near her mouth! To show her they're food i will hold them for her while she nibbles them. She's quite happy to eat a bit like this.

Anyway not terribly helpful but you're not alone!

banishingthebabybrain Tue 30-Oct-12 17:22:28

Ooh - since I posted earlier, we've had tea and DD has picked up a parsnip stick and eaten it! I guess the lesson is keep trying and try lots of different things!

erikab922 Sat 03-Nov-12 20:55:35

I am having this exact same problem - we waited until LO was 26 weeks before weaning (she's 29 weeks now) and we've given her avocado, sweet potato, carrots, etc and she just ignores them. She'll pick it up once, look at it and think 'that's not a toy' and smoosh it down and then cry 'cause she's hungry. She's very good at eating purees, she'll eat anything and she wants to do it herself so we put a little bit on the end of a spoon and hand it to her. We're careful not to overfeed and always wait to see if she truly wants more before doing another spoonful. We keep trying but she honestly couldn't care less about finger foods/BLW.

bonzo77 Sat 03-Nov-12 21:04:38

DS loved purée. Hated finger foods. Hated even feeding himself. He's 2.8 now and only just getting into feeding himself hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now