Talk

Advanced search

multivitamins @ 14 months

(5 Posts)
tiggersreturn Wed 24-Oct-12 21:10:29

The hv at yesterday's developmentental check said cos the dts were on cows milk they needed to take dalavit too. Has anyone else been told this? With ds1 I was told providing he had a good balanced diet no need to supplement. The dts were prescribed dalavit and various other vitamins etc when discharged from scbu as they were prem. But we were told to stop at 6 months. Is this just a hv preaching line to cover all those parents feeding their kids chips or is there anything to it and if so what?

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 25-Oct-12 08:37:04

Think that the NHS currently recommend multivitamin to all babies, there has been concern about lack of vit d.

vodkaanddietirnbru Thu 25-Oct-12 13:39:23

viatamins a,c and d are recommended for all babies and children between 6 months and 5 years

www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/pages/vitamins-for-children.aspx#close

tiggersreturn Thu 25-Oct-12 13:57:22

Interesting. Again the NHS is talking about multivitamins for trouble with diet. I've just been googling on vitamin d and apparently M&S are now doing a range of milk products fortified with this so perhaps we'll try that out. I just find it strange that we saw a number of consultants paediatricians up until they were 3 months and they expressly told us to STOP vitamins at 6 months where the general guidance on that link is to start at 6 months. So who is right....,

lizzywig Fri 26-Oct-12 23:41:58

Once ff children get to 1yr old and switch to cows milk they get less vit d. Formula is full of vit d so if they carried on with follow on milk they wouldn't need a supplement. bf children if continuing to be bf also would not need a supplement. Vit d is found in sunshine and as we all know this is lacking!! When it is sunny we're all looking after our children's skin with sun lotion which blocks the vitamin d. This is why supplements are being suggested. However my mum tells me that back in the day both my sister and i had supplements on advice of Dr even though we were bf. All that being said there is vit d in fortified cereal (not sure how much) - Dh looked into it as he is a chef in a children's nursery. If you don't trust your hv (like i don't mine) talk to a pharmacist.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now