Talk

Advanced search

Sandwiches for 10 month old

(14 Posts)
SuperDuperTrooper Tue 23-Oct-12 09:42:12

I've just been reading through some posts on this forum and have seen how many people give their babies sandwiches for lunch. My baby has been purée fed and so I always have given cook meals for lunch and dinner. Recently he has got to grips with feeding himself some finger food although I haven't tried him with many things as its so new to me I'm worried about choking! These are usually just at snack time too not at meal time.

Anyway, when you give your LO's sandwiches what exactly do you give and how do you serve it? E.g white or brown bread, marg, butter, fillings, what size and shape chunks etc. Do they pose much of a choking hazard for a baby that is only recently introduced to feeding himself?

NellyBluth Tue 23-Oct-12 09:46:48

We give DD one slice of brown or granary bread as a sandwich at the moment (9mo), with Philadelphia, or marg and cheese slices, or a tiny scraping of pesto sometimes. I'll admit we often break off bite size pieces and feed them to her, as she's lazy and enjoys this, but I'll hand her longer bits to play with and feed herself. We've not had any choking issues with bread at all, in fact for a baby who is predominantly still puree fed, bread is the one thing she copes with really well on her own. She does occasionally gag as bread is quite claggy and she can take too big a mouthful, but I find having a softer filling helps with this.

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 23-Oct-12 20:53:39

There's no real rules, you can serve anything as long as you watch that the salt levels aren't too high. I've always cut the sandwiches in quarters or fingers so that they are small enough for little hands. As for the bread, it's whatever we have in and we've always used butter, mayo or hummus as that's what we have.

How about egg mayo or salmon and cucumber?

As for choking, babies can choke on purees too you know and LO will have to eat family food at some time? I'd just offer it, relax, eat your lunch and see what happens.

If you are really worried about choking see if your local children's centre or St. John's ambulance run Paed first aid courses smile

SuperDuperTrooper Tue 23-Oct-12 22:18:56

Thanks for your thoughts. I've noticed that it can be rather easy to go over the recommended guideline of 1mg of salt per day. The bread we have in at the mo has 0.45mg per slice and then there is the filling, salt in formula etc.

As for choking - I know I need to get over it!

PickledFanjoCat Tue 23-Oct-12 22:20:41

Cream cheese and jam
Mashed banana or Avacado
Cheese
Egg mashed
Salmon

In little fingers.

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 23-Oct-12 22:24:04

Yeah, I was never really that bothered about salt levels, just tried to make sure that she didn't eat too much ham or bacon (her faves). We don't eat too much processed food anyway. Certainly never got around to checking salt quantise in food smile

parsnipcake Tue 23-Oct-12 22:25:55

My 10 month old loves tuna mayo sandwiches, cheese on toast, hummus pitta all cut into Pieces the size of my little finger.

ceeveebee Tue 23-Oct-12 22:26:20

I use kingsmill crusts away bread, as my twins don't seem to like crusts for some reason and I kept eating them all!

Favourite fillings are cheese (toasted or cold), tuna mayo, salmon, sardines with tomato, boiled egg mashed with butter, hummus etc.

I squash them with a rolling pin before cutting into fingers to make the filling stay in better.

NellyBluth Wed 24-Oct-12 09:57:25

Pickled, is that cream cheese and jan together? <boggles>

Ceevee, can I ask what sardines you use? I wasn't sure on whether the tinned ones were ok.

ceeveebee Wed 24-Oct-12 10:10:46

Yes I just use tinned ones, boneless John west, I add my own tomato sauce (basically pasta sauce).

HenriettaChicken Wed 24-Oct-12 10:13:40

My 6 month old loves gumming on peanut butter sandwiches! (the smooth type). We use whatever bread we have in as log as it's not got too many seeds.

NellyBluth Wed 24-Oct-12 10:34:45

Thanks - will look for some, I need something else new to feed her!

PickledFanjoCat Wed 24-Oct-12 18:46:29

Try it nelly, it's lush!

Apricot jam & Philly. grin mm

PickledFanjoCat Wed 24-Oct-12 18:47:06

I used st dalfour jam from tesco it's not made with sugar so not too sweet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now