Talk

Advanced search

7 1/2 month old regressing?

(13 Posts)
MiauMau Thu 18-Oct-12 14:30:23

I started weaning my LO a couple of weeks shy of becoming 6 months and for awhile he reacted really well. I've been giving him a mixture of purees and finger foods, which he has been enjoying (apart from broccoli in any shape or form, papaya and apparently chicken).
But lately he's been refusing his veggie puree only eating his fruit puree at lunch. I've tried giving him things like steamed vegetables, pasta, grilled chicken and most of it he just plays with, squashes with his hands and throws away.
This is his usual schedule:
6.30 - 7am - 6-8oz formula
10am - organix cereal and 4oz formula
1pm - veggie puree (always made from scratch with 3 or more vegetables, sometimes I add meat or fish) and fruit puree
4pm - yoghurt and 6oz formula
7pm - 8oz formula (sometimes with a spoon of baby rice added to it)
Is this ok? I live very far away from my family and the very few friends that I have that are parents have younger babies than me, and I'm feeling really lost.
Can someone just hold my hand and tell me that all is ok? Maybe offer some solution/opinion/chocolate box?

MiauMau Fri 19-Oct-12 06:31:58

Really? No one?

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 19-Oct-12 12:20:04

Are you adding baby rice to the bottle Miau?

He seems to be getting a little too much formula, I think the recommended amount is 20floz each day between 6 and 12 months.

Maybe try making up the breakfast with full day cows milk if that is available. As for refusing the veg purée, just stop offering the fruit purée at lunchtime. You could always offer the formula at 4 and then some more purée at 5 instead of the yogurt.

MiauMau Fri 19-Oct-12 13:39:05

Thank you so much for replying.
The ammount of formula is about right from what I've been told (between 21 and 32 and he's having between 24-26)
I thought that cow's milk was a big nono before 12 months?

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 19-Oct-12 13:54:23

No, cows milk is fine after 6 months in cooking, things like rice pudding, milk with cereal etc are all ok. Cows milk just isn't recommended for the main drink, but you're not doing that anyway, you are giving formula. In fact once you've hit 6 months there isn't really much you need to avoid apart from nuts and honey. Have a look at using milk in cooking here and foods to avoid here and if cows milk was a no no, you wouldn't be able to give the yogurt smile.

I'm not very up on ff but I think the quantities you are quoting are for babies before 6 months, I'm pretty sure that it is 20floz per day from 6 to 12 months. Once they have reached 12 months you can ditch the formula and swap to full fat cows milk. Between 12 and 24 months Lo will need around 300ml of full fat cows milk per day. Just out of interest, who told you it was between 21 and 32?

MiauMau Fri 19-Oct-12 14:00:44

http://life.familyeducation.com/formula-feeding/baby/39374.html

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 19-Oct-12 14:11:41

Yeah, in the UK the recommendation is 20floz per day between 6 and 12 months. You're not much over that and if you swap to cows milk with the cereal it should be fine and it might just save a bit of money too smile.

Mumsnet has some good information on weaning here, a great weaning timetable here and some information on the amount of formula here

Flisspaps Fri 19-Oct-12 14:14:59

Agree with all the above, and just to second that you really shouldn't add baby rice, rusks, or anything other than milk or water to your baby's bottle.

MiauMau Fri 19-Oct-12 14:16:28

Thank you thanks
I guess that as long as he's still having his bottle all is well. He loves his yoghurt too

MiauMau Fri 19-Oct-12 14:26:54

I was just wondering... Could this be him teething? He already has two teeth but didn't react like this before. Or maybe the fact that I warm up his veggies but leave his fruit cold? I'm always very careful with the food's temperature.

Also JiltedJohnJulie (this may sound silly) in the afternoon do you mean veggie or fruit puree?

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 19-Oct-12 14:58:40

Well, it could be teething but it could just as easily be him preferring sweet things and trying to get his own way grin. Unless you are offering unsweetened yogurt, then the baby rice, yogurt and fruit are all very sweet and he may just be getting a liking for sweet things. I'd just offer the savoury puree at lunchtime, if he is hungry, he'll eat it.

Can you feel any teeth about to come through? If so, try him with a teething gel like Dentinox and offer a frozen banana to eat and a cold, clean wet flannel to chew on.

As for the rice in the bottles, please ave a read of this on rice or cereal in bottles and this on giving baby rice generally.

I've had a read of your routine again and if it was me, I'd swap it around a bit. How about something like this:

7am bottle
8am cereal, like Ready Brek made with cows milk and with some fruit puree added in.

11am bottle
12pm savoury puree or mashed savoury food.

3pm snack and a drink, maybe some fruit and some water to drink but if you want some snack inspiration have a look here.

5pm savoury puree or mashed savoury food followed by fruit or yogurt or any other pudding like rice pudding, apple crumble and custard etc.

7pm Bottle.

If he refuses the savoury, I wouldn't offer the pudding though or any other alterantive, just assume he's not hungry and clear away, he'll soon get the message smile.

MiauMau Fri 19-Oct-12 16:22:04

Thank you, I'll give it a go

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 19-Oct-12 20:01:48

Keep posting Nd let us know how you are getting on Miau

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now