Talk

Advanced search

11mo still BFing - when to give other types of milk?

(7 Posts)
BabCNesbitt Fri 12-Oct-12 17:44:40

DD will be 1 at the end of the month and still gets all of her liquid from BFing. (We've tried giving her water from a doidy cup but it just goes all over her shirt/the tray/the floor/us.) I won't be giving her any kind of animal milk, but do I need to start making sure she takes some other kind of milk after she turns 1, or will breast milk continue to be OK? (BTW I know that soy milk won't be adequate - was thinking of fortified coconut milk or something else with a higher fat content.)

GodisaDJ Sat 13-Oct-12 13:55:10

Breastmilk will be fine - why would you think it wouldn't be? Are you worried about calcium intake? If you want to, there is no reason why you can't continue to breastfeed beyond 12 months. The WHO recommends to 2 years.

Keep persevering with a doidy cup with water in rather than milk. My DD won't take milk out of a cup (mine or cows milk) but she will now take water out of it (from about 10/11 months). I just offered a cup of water with each meal and took it back off her once she'd sipped it. Because she won't take milk I at least know she won't be dehydrated as she'll take water.

Drladybird Sat 13-Oct-12 14:14:51

Breastmilk will be perfect!

BabCNesbitt Sat 13-Oct-12 17:50:50

Great! I had planned to continue breastfeeding, but I think I'd picked up somewhere that it was essential to start giving babies cow's milk after they turned 1 (for fat, rather than calcium). She's a really fussy eater at the moment, refusing to eat anything other than fruit, pasta, bread and puffs, so I was worrying about her taking in enough fat.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 14-Oct-12 08:43:43

Not sure of the exact quatities of fat but know that the fat ratio does increase as the baby gets older. Just wanted to add the WHO recommends bfing for a minimum of two years, how much longer you go on after that is upto you and baby. Both of mine didn't have milk as a drink until after they had stopped bfing, but that was mainly their choice.

As for the cups, we gave DD a drink in a cup in the bath, she soon learnt how to use it and spills didn't matter smile.

butterfingerz Mon 22-Oct-12 21:12:09

I still BF my 16 month DS, it's probably his main liquid other than the odd sip of water or juice. I use goats milk in cooking though or give him goats milk yoghurt/cheese as he doesnt agree with cows milk.

Wheresmycaffeinedrip Mon 22-Oct-12 21:14:59

Breast milk is perfect smile but there is now also a soya milk Taylor designed for ages 1-3 it's alpro junior plus ( look for carton with giraffe on)

Also there is Kara coconut milk. Again with added vitamins and iron and was also an example given to me by dd2s dietician smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now