Talk

Advanced search

Can I give apple, blueberries, melon etc

(14 Posts)
mamababa Wed 10-Oct-12 20:39:34

DS is 9 months old and is a good eater but I am struggling with what food I can now give as 'finger food'

He'll happily chomp toast, strawberries, ripe pear, banana, biscotti, breadstick etc but when it is ok to give raw apple or a blueberry? Am I asking for trouble as raw apple doesn't exactly dissolve in the mouth?!
Also what about bread would that be ok? He has 5 teeth if that helps!!

Thanks in advance x

BikeRunSki Wed 10-Oct-12 20:41:04

All those fine. Little gums hard enough to chew those.

BikeRunSki Wed 10-Oct-12 20:42:17

Bread ok too for chewing, just watch the salt content.

schmalex Wed 10-Oct-12 20:42:47

You could try cooked broccoli florets and pieces of pasta too - my DS has managed those quite happily (albeit messily) from 6 months. He only has one tooth!

Poledra Wed 10-Oct-12 20:42:57

Oh yes, and make sure that DH changes his nappy after the blueberries - his face when he sees the purple poo will be priceless grin

poocatcherchampion Wed 10-Oct-12 20:43:04

My 6 month old has all those things. What she can't eat she spits out eventually

JollyJack Wed 10-Oct-12 20:46:19

I cut blueberries in half as I worry a little.

You can give him everything you eat unless it has too much salt or contains honey. You'll soon learn what he can manage and what you can'.

mejon Wed 10-Oct-12 21:27:19

DD2 has been eating blueberries since she started on solids. They can always be relied on if she's refused everything else. Watch out for gritty poo afterwards though wink.

FredFredGeorge Thu 11-Oct-12 08:38:42

No need to cut blueberries, they're not hard enough to really get blocked and most are too small anyway - if they're particularly large then a simple squish shoud be enough.

Never saw a purple poo though? I feel I missed out - obviously are blueberries, or DD's gut do impressive things to it. Beets get through though.

I would grate the apple as it can be a choking hazard. The blueberries are fine, if she can pick them up she can eat them. Melon fine too, I used to cut it up with a crinkles chip cutter for extra grip because it can be so slippy.

GoldPlatedNineDoors Thu 11-Oct-12 09:04:27

I give a whole apple with a bite took out. DD holds it and sort of scrapes the exposed apple with her two teeth and eats it that way.

DebbieTitsMcGee Thu 11-Oct-12 09:10:53

If you slice apple and blast it in the microwave then let it cool it goes nice and unchokey, but I gave it whole with a bite out from about 10m.

mummmsy Thu 11-Oct-12 09:17:07

these are good things, i can't quite remember the 'guidelines' but i remember giving dc little baby boiled spuds, butter beans and broad beans (broad beans popped out of their skin) cauliflower and brocolli florets as well as garden peas etc (just if you're stuck for ideas, not teaching you to suck eggs!)

mamababa Thu 11-Oct-12 13:54:46

Thanks all! Just so paranoid about choking blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now