Talk

Advanced search

11 month old on hunger strike.

(7 Posts)
Pastabee Wed 10-Oct-12 17:10:21

My 11mo had been a fantastic eater until last weekend when she seemed to give up on the whole idea. It's got progressively worse all week until today when the sum total of her food intake had been:

1 bowl of porridge with raisins,
1/8th of a sandwich,
1 segment of satsuma,
3 baby spoons of shepherd's pie,
1 baby spoon of yoghurt.

In addition she is feeding for much less time than normal so I think her milk intake is down too.

DD hovers below 20th centile so doesn't have much to spare and I'm so worried. Is there anything I should do differently or just keep offering food?

People keep telling me it's her top teeth but they've been excusing any whimper or mood on her top teeth since she was 7 months old so I'm just not sure....

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 12-Oct-12 08:43:25

How was yesterday? Was she any better? Has she got a temperature? You could try her with some ibruprofen about half an hour before solids to see if that help. Is she showing any other signs of illness, often things like ear infections cause them to eat and feed less and can be hard to pick up on.

If you think it might be teething, I'd give her the ibruprofen and try her with a teething gel like Dentinox. Frozen bananas and chuncks of cool cucumber work well too and I always gave mine a clean wet flannel to chew on.

Pastabee Fri 12-Oct-12 13:59:04

Thanks for the reply jilted. She definitely doesn't have a temperature as I keep checking for that. Yesterday she ate a little more but still left a lot of food.

She has been to nursery this morning where she ate half her lunch so I think whatever is bugging her is improving but I still can't work out what's up with her. sad

I like the cold flannel idea. That will be right up her street!

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 14-Oct-12 08:39:14

Are you bfing Pasta? If so I dould seriously not worry about how much she is eating at this age. Mine had phases when they would have more solids and at other times more milk. Try to look at what she has eaten over a week rather than a day smile.

BlablaSos Sun 14-Oct-12 08:43:51

Mine goes through phases which I referred to as a strike too! Could be a slight cold, sore throat, feeling sick, teething or anything else really. It usually gets better after a week or so. Maybe give her high calorie food like cheese for a while.

Pastabee Sun 14-Oct-12 22:30:40

She has eaten a bit more today thankfully. She still isn't right though sad

I know you're right about looking at it over the week but I found it so worrying when she wouldn't even eat yoghurt which usually she wolfs down.

I do BF alongside cartons of formula at nursery as I hate expressing.

Fingers crossed she will be back on form tomorrow and I'll take her somewhere nice for her lunch.

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 15-Oct-12 20:36:15

Glad she's eating a bit more now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now