Talk

Advanced search

Weaning Advice Needed - Good eater to poor eater

(5 Posts)
FizzyLambert Mon 08-Oct-12 21:57:45

Hi, need some advice please... starting giving my daughter blended Fruit and Veg at 5 months - which she ate fantastic, there was nothing she didn't like, and she would eat the fruit & veg blended so it was quite lumpy still.

Just before she reached 6 months she got a cold and the weaning stopped, she wouldn't eat and drunk much less milk too. (cold that lasted about 10 days!)

After getting better the weaning started well again, but the last 2 weeks she has refused to eat with a spoon any more and is very whingey at dinner time. I have offered her finger food which she'll eat, but only a few bits - her food consumption is much lower than previous, and I don't know what to do - do I try more baby lead or try purées?

She is approaching 7 months and her daily intake is as follows;
9am Milk 150ml
10am Breakfast - 4 spoonfuls of porridge
12pm Lunch - 1 Rice Cake, tiny piece of fruit sometimes
12.30pm Milk 150ml
3.30pm Milk 150ml
6.30pm Dinner - few pieces of veg, 1 or 2 spoons of dinner!
8.30pm Milk 210ml

I just don't know how to stop her whinging and get her eating more!!

Advice please!!!!

colditz Mon 08-Oct-12 21:59:32

a) She's eaten plenty today.
b) Please let go of the idea that she is a "Good eater" or a "Poor eater". She either has a larger or a smaller appetite, don't make this about good or bad. Don't make her eat more, you'll overide her natural satiety point and she'll be prone to obesity.

happyfrogger Tue 23-Oct-12 10:38:21

Interested in this too, Fizzy - my DD is 27 weeks and also started fruit & veggies at 5 months and inhaled everything that came near her! Also had a cold and is generally very whingy whenever we sit down to try purees now. Trying to suss out what's bothering her, changing timings, flavours etc etc is very tricky!! It just seems that her appetite has massively decreased and the reason is not obvious.

Nothing helpful to say but in your boat smile

Zzzzmarchhare Tue 23-Oct-12 12:32:55

We had similar with DS- thought we were doing well-night feeds down to 1 from 3! Is she teething? DS went off his food when any teeth came through.
We went away completely from spoon feeding and varied the types of finger foods more- nothing fancy, toast, omelette, bits of fish, chicken. I think I overdid the boiled veg as if I give DS a carrot stick or broccoli now he throws it miles!

happyfrogger Sat 27-Oct-12 23:04:50

Sprouted first tooth yesterday, interest in food resumed!! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now