Talk

Advanced search

Do you need special spoons for weaning?

(6 Posts)
Seriouslysleepdeprived Mon 08-Oct-12 18:34:03

I has a look today & saw there are lots of different stage spoons. Im wondering what the benefit of these are. Could you go straight to the 12monrh + spoons?

Doing mostly BLW so it will just be for porridge etc. the others look really long!

hazeldog Mon 08-Oct-12 18:40:48

I find a teaspoon is fine but the little plastic spoons are nicely shaped for baby's mouth and he can't hurt himself when he throws his head forward to get the food. Of course you don't really need any of it but they are quite handy.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Mon 08-Oct-12 18:43:00

No you don't need them, but they are nice and soft for your lo when they are still in the clumsy stages.

Fwiw, I sold all of our weaning stuff on e-bay! Couldn't believe how well it sold, so it's not money that just gets written off once they're a bit older.

bringmeroses Mon 08-Oct-12 18:47:03

As long as it's plastic and small enough not to jab your child's mouth when inserting, you could use anything. Wow 12+ spoons, had no idea things had got so technical in baby world, I'm a few years past all that!

Nyunya Mon 08-Oct-12 18:56:55

I used small coffee spoons from the start as dd was highly skeptical of anything brightly-coloured (which, for some reason, many weaning spoons are.) It worked really well as they are great for her to feed herself with and she seems to like it that they look just like our spoons! They are perfect shape and size for her little mouth.

I actually used one of the squashy-ended weaning spoons the other day to eat some yogurt with and it just made the yogurt taste of plastic!

Seriouslysleepdeprived Tue 09-Oct-12 16:13:51

Great thanks. Will get a set now I know their purpose smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now