Talk

Advanced search

What else can I do? Baby with Food Aversions...

(8 Posts)
OpheliasWeepingWillow Mon 08-Oct-12 07:15:07

I've posted on this subject before Here. My dd has food / spoon aversions following severe silent reflux. She's 8 months old.

Here's what I'm doing right now and I'd really love it if you could take a look and tell me what you would do re the feeding schedule.

It's really important she does not associate food with unhappiness / fear / pain and I have had to go right back to basics of weaning.

6.30 am 160mls milk
7.30 30mls formula with rice (this is massive improvement as until 2 days ago would not take sppon!) in front of YouTube (sigh) music videos. There is always more rice on offer if she wants it.
9am hand her a selection of the finest rusks and baby biscuits. Some might get chewed. Or not, depending on her mood.
10am 160mls milk
12 30mls formula with rice. Again, that's all she'll take.
1pm sits down to lunch with us. Sort of gnaws at pasta and cucumber. Nothing seems to get swallowed.
3pm Try a fruit pouch. May or may not be successful.
4pm 100mls milk
4-7 is used up with long walk and bedtime routine.
7.30 160mls milk

Am I offering her enough? Am desperate not to cut down on milk too much as she is 'failing to thrive' because of the past reflux and is hard to get her to put on weight.

I suppose it's a massive improvement as two months ago I could not even get a bottle in her but I'd love some top tips from anyone who has any.

OpheliasWeepingWillow Mon 08-Oct-12 07:15:39

spoon not sppon.

WhispersOfWickedness Mon 08-Oct-12 07:27:45

8 months is pretty young on the weaning journey smile Gnawing on pasta/cucumber with nothing much swallowed sounds about right for this age and you are absolutely right not to reduce her milk for sometime yet, especially if there are concerns about thriving. Milk is her main source of nutrition at this age and the best thing you can do is relax, relax, relax, she is getting all she needs from the milk and the food is just for tasting and learning how to coordinate hands and mouths and tongues at this stage smile So allow her to play with food, drop it, squish it, play with the spoon if you are using purée, show her it's nothing to be feared. Good luck smile

WhispersOfWickedness Mon 08-Oct-12 07:29:55

Sorry, I realised that I didn't answer you about the schedule. That sounds great, the only thing I did differently at that age was that the dc joined in with our dinner at around 6pm (but didn't necessarily eat much!).

OpheliasWeepingWillow Mon 08-Oct-12 07:42:14

whispers I think I love you. Thank you!

Stellarella123 Mon 08-Oct-12 07:59:32

My ds had silent reflux and had same food aversion and failure to thrive. What ur doing sounds fab, it will take time, I can't say I was patient ( more like totally stressed out! Always feeling guilty that I could have offered more/ tried harder) but he has done it in his own time, he just started eating lumps at 18 months! Don't compare with other kids, I hated going anywhere and seeing kids younger munching away, but he has caught up. Just keep doing what your doing smile x

notcitrus Mon 08-Oct-12 08:46:55

Dd is 8 months, no health issues, but unlike ds refuses spoonfeeding. So I try to give her lots of different foods to chomp on. Strawberries and sticks of other fruit are the only ones that reliably get eaten; everything else just makes a million crumbs, but her poo shows some is getting in.

Putting baby food on my finger means she'll eat it, or mix with Greek Yoghurt and weetabix and she can shove it in her own mouth. And then a bath. But mostly its slow progress.

WhispersOfWickedness Mon 08-Oct-12 09:45:23

Aww, thanks, I was glad to help grin

Fwiw, neither of my dc ate much until they were about 9 months old (I did blw) and I didn't consider them at all slow at weaning.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now