Talk

Advanced search

best way to make baby food?

(33 Posts)
Copps Sun 07-Oct-12 21:07:48

i'm just starting weaning and am looking at getting a mini food blender (asda have one for a tenner) to make purees etc.
Good idea? bad idea? what is the best way to do it?

NellyBluth Thu 11-Oct-12 12:45:14

I'd still buy a hand blender if I were you, just a cheap one - its great for making soups and sauces anyway, and one of the easiest and healthiest things to make for the baby is to whizz up a load of veg and turn it into a pasta sauce. Certainly not a waste for £5! smile

SamSmalaidh Thu 11-Oct-12 12:50:59

If your baby is near 6 months then there is no point in doing smooth purees - that was more appropriate when people weaned at 3 or 4 months and babies were only able to drink purees.

I either gave whole bits of soft fruit/veg, or mushed with a hand blender. The blender was really useful for mashing up our meals.

HenriettaChicken Thu 11-Oct-12 22:54:40

So at 6 months baby can have pasta, sauce and all regular food? (except nuts/honey). So yoghurt, cheese, bread etc all ok?

StateofConfusion Thu 11-Oct-12 22:58:07

Yep henrietta boots do a bag of baby pasta which was ace for my two, I'm sure other places do it aswell now. Its quicker to cook and perfect small bits.

SamSmalaidh Thu 11-Oct-12 23:01:44

From 6 months they can have anything but honey, whole nuts (crushed nuts, nut butters etc are fine) and salt (I think no more than 0.5g a day?).

BertieBotts Fri 12-Oct-12 10:35:20

1 gram a day up to a year.

KatAndKit Sun 14-Oct-12 22:34:03

Now you see i find the small bits of pasta a bit useless as babies can't pick them up. I have gone for the biggest giant shapes i could find. The little baby pasta is great for bulking up a soup

melodywilliams Tue 13-Dec-16 21:16:40

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now