Talk

Advanced search

Fish fingers

(10 Posts)
LoveYouForeverMyBaby Fri 05-Oct-12 21:45:59

Are fish fingers okay for an almost 11 month old?

nellyjelly Fri 05-Oct-12 21:47:17

Of course. Mash them up a bit with potato if necessary.

shrimponastick Fri 05-Oct-12 21:47:47

Are fish fingers okay for anyone?

I personally don't buy them.

I guess some are of better quality than others though - or you could make your own.

Otherwise yes.

milkysmum Fri 05-Oct-12 21:54:33

I occasionaly give my just one year old them- usualy take the crispy coasting off though as thinks it probably quite salty so i guess its basically just bit of white fish which is fine

LoveYouForeverMyBaby Fri 05-Oct-12 21:55:53

shrimponastick sorry I don't understand your answer...."are fish fingers okay for anyone" are they unhealthy / contain too much salt that I wasn't aware off?

BrianButterfield Fri 05-Oct-12 21:55:54

Yeah, fine - I buy the best quality ones (fish fillet) and let DS eat the coating as I checked the packet for salt levels and they're Ok on occasion. Bloody convenient, too!

shrimponastick Fri 05-Oct-12 22:02:11

I have always been a bit meh about fish fingers, as I am unsure of the quality of the fish in them.

I am probably basing this on fish fingers of the 1970s and 80s, which were crappy quality - and I am sure that there are better quality now.

Personal taste though. My mum brought me up on a diet of freezer to oven fish/pies/other stuff - and I have gone the other way, and never wantto eat food like that. (could save a hell of a lot of cooking and shopping time though if I did)

BrianButterfield Fri 05-Oct-12 22:09:30

If you buy the best Bird's Eye ones they are proper fish, with flakes and everything! Definitely a cut above 1980s ones, for sure.

EndoJ Fri 05-Oct-12 23:01:27

you are right, some fish fingers are rubishy and use minced fish of more than one variety with added rubbish. Jamie Oliver confirmed it

ceeveebee Sat 06-Oct-12 09:19:50

Jamie Oliver has a collaboration with Youngs with fish fingers, fish cakes etc, they sell them at Ocado, they are 0.3% sodium which although not low, is half of the normal youngs fish fingers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now