Talk

Advanced search

Food to take on a plane...

(11 Posts)
tory79 Tue 02-Oct-12 11:43:51

Hi all

Just looking for a few suggestions as to what to take for 12mo ds. We have a 9hr flight coming up next week, and I need things that are not messy and don't need to be refrigerated or cooked (as we are staying in a hotel the night before so I will need to have sorted it out in advance.

So far I am thinking
A variety of muffins (I make these a lot for him anyway)
Raisins
Selection of organix crisps
Croissants (he loves them)

Any other ideas? I know spending 1 day not eating that well is not the end of the world but I'd like to do the best I can!

Thanks!

HappyJoyful Tue 02-Oct-12 11:48:04

The Ella's Kitchen / Plum fruit pouches ?
Banana's / apples ? I'm sure we've taken them on a plane before..
Goodies do some fruit biscuits that are wee sizes ?

BakingBunty Tue 02-Oct-12 12:36:02

We are also flying next week and I've been thinking...

Scones (from the BLW cookbook - he loves them!)
Bananas, chopped up grapes
Savoury flapjacks (again from BLW cookbook)
Ella's nibbly fingers
Possibly some pitta bread and those mini pots of hummus or peanut butter for some protein
Cold pasta/pesto salad in a little tupperware

I was also thinking of cooking and freezing some cocktail sausages (not exactly healthy but ok as a treat I reckon!). Could then whip them out of the freezer before we left the house so that they would defrost by the time we needed them. But that may be a step too far!

My DS also obsessed with croissants!

TheSurgeonsMate Tue 02-Oct-12 12:42:28

Babybel.

jkklpu Tue 02-Oct-12 12:45:19

bananas, an avocado, dried apple rings?

CMOTDibbler Tue 02-Oct-12 13:07:36

A mixture of different cereals (shreddies, mini wheabix, cheerios, whatever) and dried fruits (raisins, apricots, dates, mango, pineapple) occupies a lot of nibbling time.
Salt n shake crisps without the salt packet - cheaper and cleaner than organix.
Clementine

Can I ask what is the food for? To eat in the hotel or is it for the flight? I've flown long haul with my little one, and they have food on the plane for them. By default, an infant get a baby meal of pureed stuff. Since mine is 17mo and no way will entertain carrot mush, I rang the airline and they changed her meals to the childs meal. On the flight out, it was a night flight and DD slept the entire 12hours so I didn't get to see what meals they served. On the way back, she ate two of the three meals. The breakfast is scrambled eggs and baked beans type of thing. There's a lunch of egg sandwish. All very toddler friendly food. They also have snacks available if you ask. (I've flown long haul a lot and they generally have sandwiches on demand).

We were away for 2 weeks, and I packed 2 packs of organix fruit bars, 1 bag of rice cakes, and a whole bag (18 boxes) of raisins. She ran out of fruit bars one week in! The snacks are more useful when I was actually on holiday as it's sometimes hard to find things to eat when it's not meal time. The plane trip itself isn't a problem at all.

HTH

tory79 Tue 02-Oct-12 20:23:54

Thanks for the ideas everyone. He's never had shop bought baby food before but I might get a couple of the Ellas pouches this week and see what he thinks of them as they would certainly be easy!

One the food is for both. He's a fussy little bugger, despite a storming start to blw, he doesn't eat pasta or things like scrambled egg, and he's going through a rather long phase of crying hysterically if he doesn't recognise whats on his plate hmm We have ordered him a kids meal for the plane though, just in case he might eat any of it....

Alligatorpie Wed 03-Oct-12 07:45:22

I wouldn't bring bananas. They mush easily, and then you are stuck with the banana smell for the rest of the flight.

Dried apricots, rice cakes, apples, trail mix (cereal, raisins, the odd mini chocolate chip) crackers.

Oh yes bananas can be a diasaster. I squashed one when I folded up the pushchair. grin

tory DD can be quite fussy too. Hence why she ate all the fruit bars in a week. She is in nursery so very used to standard nursery food, so I was lucky in that respect wrt the plane food. But she really struggled with the food in Singapore and Hong Kong. They are just too weird for her. Other than stir fried rice. But not every restaurant has stir fried rice on the menu. She lived mainly on bread and bananas while we were away.

Vajazzler Wed 03-Oct-12 09:27:59

The savoury Ella's pouches heat really well in hot water and i took them on a transatlantic flight for my ds. Also took some of those fruity ones too so that if he didn't eat all of it it could be saved for later.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now