Talk

Advanced search

Home made baby rice?

(8 Posts)
Ecgwynn Wed 26-Sep-12 12:48:24

I'm thinking about weaning soon (DS 5 months). Can I make my own baby rice by whizzing up some cooked rice with formula?

I know it has no nutritional value but I think it will taste similar to the milk he's used to while being a bit thicker in texture to the milk.

I was also going to offer him some bits of broccoli to see whether he can manage to feed himself.

Lambethlil Wed 26-Sep-12 13:05:55

I'd not bother! Mash up banana, avocado or potato with milk.
Apart from the no nutritional value aspect rice is notorious for harbouring bacteria, at least the packet stuff is factory controlled.

notcitrus Wed 26-Sep-12 13:48:48

Dd likes cooked rice with a bit of Greek Yoghurt or coconut milk - new texture seems to be part of the fun. Never bothered whizzing it.
Polenta/semolina is also good, carrot barons, any non-salty bread or cereal. Don't bother with any baby cereals as they are just overpriced and sweetened. Porridge oats are fine too.

Lambethlil Wed 26-Sep-12 21:03:28

Oh yes porridge! It's astonishing how much you forget. I never believed my mum when she couldn't remember when we'd done what etc. 10 years on I've forgotten the details.

ZigZagWanderer Mon 01-Oct-12 20:31:51

I was told you can use ground rice it just needs cooking for a lot longer.

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 03-Oct-12 13:11:28

Well you could but why bother? If you leave it an extra month you can just give him more or less what you have. Sounds like a bit of a faff.

RubberNeckerNicker Wed 03-Oct-12 13:15:08

You can buy quinoa flakes which can be used to thicken baby meals, with the extra bonus that it is actually very nutritious.

LittleBearPad Fri 05-Oct-12 11:57:13

Why would you want to give him rice. There's loads of yummy food he can eat in a month

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now