Talk

Advanced search

Arghhh - free flow cups

(8 Posts)
Pastabee Tue 25-Sep-12 10:14:37

DD is 10 months and I'm aware that she should only be using free flow cups from 1 year so I'm trying to get her used to them. 

Has anyone got any tips because she just tips all the water out whilst laughing gleefully and then spits out what is in her mouth. She was much better with the valved cups. 

At the moment I can't imagine putting milk in one of these cups. 

I've tried a Doidy and whilst she understands the concept she grabs it and flings it. <laments wet baby and wet slippers>

Any advice gratefully received. 

lljkk Tue 25-Sep-12 10:18:23

Snurk. Now you see why so many of us don't follow official advice.
What about sports-bottles type? If they can be washed in dishwasher?

Drladybird Tue 25-Sep-12 10:26:56

Hello,
We received a brilliant beaker from my Swiss mother-in-law when my daughter was 1. It is basically a cup covered with a top that the child has to press with their mouth to release the water. My daughter took a while to figure it out but learnt quickly and was then happy to use. It really is brilliant for making the transition to cup and without spilling water or making a mess (although now she knows how to use it, she releases the water to pour onto herself for fun!). I don't like to advertise for Phillips but it really is a good invention. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if you can get them in the UK yet. Here is the link to the swiss german site:
www.philips.ch/c/avent-baby-fuettern-von-kleinkindern/becher-fuer-kleinkinder-260-ml-ab-12-monaten-scf782_00/prd/de/

TerracottaPie Tue 25-Sep-12 10:28:12

We a have free flow one that the spout can be flipped down to the lid. I guess it's so you can travel with it full and it not leak everywhere. So when 9mo DS decides it's a bang it on the high chair, fling it about kind of day I just quickly flip the spout down. Then flip it back up when he wants to drink.

I don't have any help for the spit out part though!

Pastabee Tue 25-Sep-12 10:50:14

lljkk I think you're right because it's all very well trying to look after her teeth but if she isn't drinking anything surely that's worse?! I'm going to keep trying but can see me shelving it for a bit.

Thank you for the cup suggestions. I am a dedicated collector of children's beakers so have a flip top one and I like the idea of branching out internationally!

I think I'm using the same ones as TerracotaPie, the flip down free flow spout from Tommee Tippee.

This when going out www.tommeetippee.co.uk/product/kids_on_the_go_super_sipper/
And this at home www.tommeetippee.co.uk/product/first_cup_4_months/

Spitting and pouring out is a good thing though isn't it? It means your DD actually understands water comes out of the cup, and that she can play with it by spitting. If you look on the positive side, she understands what it is for, and how to use it. Don't stress, if she wants to drink, she'll swallow that water. Have you met any older children who can't work out how to drink from a free flow cup? I just leave the cup for DD at every meal. She spent ages just playing like yours, spitting, blowing bubbles, pouring water out. It's around 10mo she really started drinking from it. She now drinks cow's milk out from it too.

I started offering milk from the free flow beaker/cup from around 12mo if it's not clear from my last post.

Pastabee Tue 25-Sep-12 19:24:35

No doubt she knows what it is for Onelittletoddlingterror I have noticed her pretending to drink from her stacking cups several times today!

I gave her a doidy cup of water in the bath tonight thinking that would be a good place to practice with a completely open cup and have been flipping the lip down on the other cups when she starts up ending and flinging them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now