Talk

Advanced search

Weaning at 17 weeks - yay or nay?

(19 Posts)
LubileeJubileeJayde Fri 24-Aug-12 14:56:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

fhdl34 Fri 24-Aug-12 19:34:04

I don't think he's ready for solids, he's showing none of the signs and in fact it sounds more like a growth spurt. He'll get more calories from milk anyway plus his gut isn't mature enough yet to start. I'd follow your gut. We're doing BLW and it's fab and great fun, we started at 6 months and DD loves it. It's hard isn't it when HV give advice that doesn't sit well with you, mine told me to wait till 6 months and also supported me doing BLW which I was surprised about.

PicklesThePottyMouthedParrot Fri 24-Aug-12 19:35:28

If your doing blw don't you have to wait till 6 mo?

There's lots of things you can't give under 6 mo.

I'd wait!

Figgygal Fri 24-Aug-12 19:44:54

How many oz is he having in a 24hr period? My DS was a milk monster would take almost 50oz a day had a huge tummy and I was worried he'd burst.

he'd slept thru from 8-18wks then started waking and looking for food we persevered until 20 weeks then went slowly with introducing food.

All other things aside about the issues of weaving early, undeveloped gut, tongue thrust, gag reflex I would doubt a lo that young could do blw as they wouldn't be able to manoeuvre small pieces of food to mouth, sit well enough etc. Also as they eat very little to start with u would still have to give milk alongside whatever they've licked and then thrown on the floor. I found I had to do "traditional" weaning as I needed to reduce his milk intake it wasn't until he was on 3 full meals a day I got him down to anywhere near the recommended milk intake for his age.

I assume you've tried hungry baby milk if ff?

Purplevi Sat 25-Aug-12 01:42:38

BLW requires waiting until baby can sit up virtually unaided, take food accuratley to their mouths, chew and not tongue thrust everything back out. This comes together at around 6 months.

Milk has a lot more calories than early weaning foods so I never understand why this is going to be better?
I would wait.

aufaniae Sat 25-Aug-12 01:54:52

Like others have said he'll be getting more out of the milk than he will from the first baby foods.

If the only reason the HV has for advising solids is that she thinks he's hungry then she's talking rubbish i'm afraid.

If he's hungry he needs milk!

BLW is great btw smile

LubileeJubileeJayde Sat 25-Aug-12 06:55:13

fhdl34 Sat 25-Aug-12 12:52:12

I think you've made the right choice. If you do decide to wean before 6 months, stick to fruit and veg purees only, there's so much that can lead to him developing food intolerances. Also if you want to do BLW you do have to wait till 6 months. We started at 6 months but she didn't sit properly unaided till a week later but we had the ikea highchair with air cushion support which helped her sit upright.

LubileeJubileeJayde Sat 25-Aug-12 16:17:38

Purplevi Sat 25-Aug-12 22:07:28

Don't get stressed over it if it was a tiny bit for a one off, they can't advertise for earlier than 4 months as NHS gidelines do not allow for general weaning earlier. If you kept going you might risk causing issues but just go back to milk and relax. Lots of mums will say 'i weaned mine that early and they are fine'.

Mjtay Sun 26-Aug-12 13:54:55

I started at 18 weeks, and in hindsight wish I'd waited! So many troubles with her tummy xx

Purplevi Tue 28-Aug-12 17:28:17

Mjtay so good to hear the other side for once but sorry your baby girl has had problems.

Mich100 Thu 06-Sep-12 23:14:52

I started my ds at 18 weeks. He could sit up etc. He has always eaten like a horse and I've had no problems whatsoever. He's 46 weeks old now and still eats anything and everything. Each to their own. smile

FaintingGoat Thu 06-Sep-12 23:22:13

I started DD at 17 weeks and she took to it immediately, after two (very small) spoonfuls of baby rice she was opening her mouth for the next one. She has shown no sign of any intolerances, but obviously they are all different. As you've tried porridge and it didn't go that well, I'd say he's not ready, but you certainly won't have harmed him with that tiny amount.

Asmywhimsytakesme Thu 06-Sep-12 23:24:20

HeidiHole Sat 15-Sep-12 20:29:59

I never understood the logic tO give a hungry baby some puréed carr

HeidiHole Sat 15-Sep-12 20:30:39

CarrOt or something when carrot is a diet food!

The most calories are in milk at this age surely?

emz0909 Sun 23-Sep-12 18:36:20

mine is 18 weeks and was showing a few signs of being ready he was interested in our food (was going mad to get in my cereal bowl), not being satisfied after milk and was mimiking us eating so i tried him with some rice and he had 3 spoonfuls. When he was watches us eat breakfast he was opening his mouth wide ready for the spoon smile
i also let him have the spoon to play with and he puts in his own mouth most of the time so i tried him.
also the dr reccomended i weaned at around 18/19 weeks to help with his reflux. however im not pushing him onto fulll weaning just giving a bit of breakkie, but do what you feel is right! smile
if he doesnt take to it, then hold out a few more weeks.

Asmywhimsytakesme Sun 23-Sep-12 18:48:32

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now