Talk

Advanced search

BLW - Organix Rice Cakes

(7 Posts)
CoralRose Tue 18-Oct-11 14:18:47

Are they any good for it? When should I try them?

haloflo Tue 18-Oct-11 14:48:38

I'm using them now at 29 weeks (used since 27 weeks) DD can't really eat them but can suck mashed banana or houmous off them.

lilham Tue 18-Oct-11 15:46:01

Someone might correct me here, but I think rice cakes are healthy. (Unlike a biscuits iyswim). I use them for breakfast often. I put spreads on the plain ones, and give the flavoured ones as is. I started doing BLW proper at 26wks, so it must be around then I gave DD one. (Even though the packaging says 7mo, but I don't see any ingredients that's recommended not to give to under 7mo by the NHS).

CoralRose Tue 18-Oct-11 15:49:24

So they'd be OK as a 'first' weaning food?

spaceal Tue 18-Oct-11 17:14:53

I started BLW my DD at 6 months and rice cakes were one of her first foods. She seems to have taken to them very well, both chewing/eating them up right from the very start (plain and flavoured, sweet and savoury) and sucking other things (houmous, avocado, mashed sweet potato, etc) off them.

One thing I might be wary of is overdosing - others might know better but I think rice can bung them up constipation-wise and I think my DD might have had too many on a couple of days. But it might have been something else altogether that caused the constipation (or nothing at all!).

HappyCamel Tue 18-Oct-11 17:18:45

Yep, they're good. Cooked, cold, wholemeal pasta is a good snack too. So are cooked until soft carrot sticks and cheese sticks. DD, 28 wks, loves them all.

CoralRose Tue 18-Oct-11 19:07:38

DS is just over 5mo... we've just started and he's so far had broccoli, cauliflower and carrot... cauliflower seems to be the favourite!

I still get these rice cakes for DS2 and wondered if they would be OK for DS3.

Thank you for your replies.

HappyCamel - what pasta do you use? A spaghetti type, or penne?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: