Talk

Advanced search

BLW - Organix Rice Cakes

(7 Posts)
CoralRose Tue 18-Oct-11 14:18:47

Are they any good for it? When should I try them?

haloflo Tue 18-Oct-11 14:48:38

I'm using them now at 29 weeks (used since 27 weeks) DD can't really eat them but can suck mashed banana or houmous off them.

lilham Tue 18-Oct-11 15:46:01

Someone might correct me here, but I think rice cakes are healthy. (Unlike a biscuits iyswim). I use them for breakfast often. I put spreads on the plain ones, and give the flavoured ones as is. I started doing BLW proper at 26wks, so it must be around then I gave DD one. (Even though the packaging says 7mo, but I don't see any ingredients that's recommended not to give to under 7mo by the NHS).

CoralRose Tue 18-Oct-11 15:49:24

So they'd be OK as a 'first' weaning food?

spaceal Tue 18-Oct-11 17:14:53

I started BLW my DD at 6 months and rice cakes were one of her first foods. She seems to have taken to them very well, both chewing/eating them up right from the very start (plain and flavoured, sweet and savoury) and sucking other things (houmous, avocado, mashed sweet potato, etc) off them.

One thing I might be wary of is overdosing - others might know better but I think rice can bung them up constipation-wise and I think my DD might have had too many on a couple of days. But it might have been something else altogether that caused the constipation (or nothing at all!).

HappyCamel Tue 18-Oct-11 17:18:45

Yep, they're good. Cooked, cold, wholemeal pasta is a good snack too. So are cooked until soft carrot sticks and cheese sticks. DD, 28 wks, loves them all.

CoralRose Tue 18-Oct-11 19:07:38

DS is just over 5mo... we've just started and he's so far had broccoli, cauliflower and carrot... cauliflower seems to be the favourite!

I still get these rice cakes for DS2 and wondered if they would be OK for DS3.

Thank you for your replies.

HappyCamel - what pasta do you use? A spaghetti type, or penne?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now