Talk

Advanced search

Shop bought pesto ok for 8mo

(10 Posts)
megcleary Tue 18-Oct-11 11:42:01

was thinking of trying it for dd at lunch as a desperate for her to eat something and thinking flavor may help!

Sossiges Tue 18-Oct-11 11:46:22

This may sound weird but if it has pine nuts in it than I wouldn't give it to her...have you heard of pine mouth at all?

zumm Tue 18-Oct-11 11:50:45

That's a good question - I've been feeding ds organic hummus since he was about 11 mths (now 16 mths) and I'm never sure whether it's all that brilliant for him (salty) ... esp since it's spozed to be quite easy to make it at home (lazy emoticon) - but then again, if you don't mind grating the parmesan, pesto is easy to make too (lazy emoticon back ;) .All that olive oil, basil, pine nuts and parmesan must be pretty sound tho.

At 8 mths, I used to give a lot of banana, avocado (showing true lazy colours). However, unless others suggest hummus is too salty for 8 mths, you cld also try that.

Also, stick with it, if this is your first kid you might not (or at least I did not) realise realise you're currently in the really difficult bit, feeding wise. Once they get older, more teeth and etc, it gets so much easier.

megcleary Tue 18-Oct-11 12:03:38

hmm pine mouth how unusual, may try a taste myself first

Sossiges Tue 18-Oct-11 14:41:00

Takes a couple of days to show up usually

lilham Tue 18-Oct-11 16:35:58

I assume the salt content will be very high? But as an ocassional thing I'm sure it's ok. If you are making your own, the river cottage book suggests using ground almond instead because it's hard to process the pine nuts to really fine.

LeaveYourDignityAtTheDoor Tue 18-Oct-11 17:10:30

I've given my 10mth both red and green pesto which he seems to love. Spoke to the HV (who is very good) regarding it and she seemed unconcerned about feeding him it, more surprised that he enjoyed it.

MrsWifty Thu 20-Oct-11 18:30:21

I've used it as a way of flavouring cream cheese to rig the changes. DS (7mo) seemed to like it and no adverse effects

WhoIsThatMaskedWoman Thu 20-Oct-11 18:32:46

Very salty, so give in tiny amounts and balance out with extra low salt days (no bread for example).

Flisspaps Thu 20-Oct-11 18:37:07

No reason why you shouldn't give it to her as part of a balanced diet.

The only things that under 1s shouldn't eat are whole nuts and whole grapes (choking risk) and honey (risk of botulism). Some people are funny about soft cooked eggs due to the salmonella risk, but all British hens are vaccinated against salmonella.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now