Talk

Advanced search

EFSA reccomend weaning between 4 and 6 months

(5 Posts)
annieee Fri 14-Oct-11 21:35:29

while trawling the net for some info re introducing foods to my currently bf baby i came across this: http://www.efsa.europa.eu/en/scdocs/doc/1423.pdf

i know its heavily debated on here that starting solids before 6 months could potentially be dangerous for the baby, and i've always been of the opinion that the older the better, but the baby ultimately will let you know when he is interested (and I don't mean seeming a bit hungry and waking in the night before 4 months!) but this study seems to suggest 6 months to be the far end of the weaning 'opportunity window' so to speak.

its all so confusing! WHO recommend exclusive breastfeeding for 6 months. then theres talk of 'understanding all babies are different, and some may be ready earlier. ' then the whole 'WHO is trying to plug breastfeeding/is aimed at more poverty stricken countries ' debate.
Sigh.

Motherhood is confusing enough already, I'm still unsure of whether to give in to my DS trying to shovel my food into his mouth ( and trust me, he knows the difference between food and a tv remote) ... it seems natural, he can chew, swallow, and still keep up his breastfeeds, if not more! or will he die a horrible allergy ridden death because I didnt wait another 4 weeks.

joking aside though, it does worry me! somebody help!

StarlightMcKenzie Fri 14-Oct-11 21:39:03

I think a criticism of that 'panel' was that many of them were paid advisers to baby food companies.

lilham Fri 14-Oct-11 21:39:57

I just read the abstract, and it doesn't conflict with the current NHS advice at all. Quoting from the abstract

On the basis of present knowledge, the Panel concludes that the introduction of complementary food into the diet of healthy term infants in the EU between the age of 4 and 6 months is safe and does not pose a risk for adverse health effects ...

So it's still 4 to 6 months.

bruffin Fri 14-Oct-11 21:42:08

It's only really the UK that has stuck to 6 months. The sap changed their guidelines back in April and every European country have different ideas.
I can't link but Google the espghan position paper on introducing complimentary foods.

annieee Fri 14-Oct-11 21:45:31

starlight i wasn't aware of that, were they paid while conductiong the study? or had previously been associated?
lilham i still thought the uk and nhs reccomended 6 months, and only before if 'really needed' - discuss with your doctor etc. see i'm just too confused now eek!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now