Talk

Advanced search

7mo practically stopped eating

(5 Posts)
fififrog Thu 13-Oct-11 20:58:44

Dd is 7mo next week and we started weaning at 5 months. 2 weeks ago she was eating really well, eg nearly a whole weetabix for breakfast, cod and sweet potato for lunch about 3tbsp, fruit and yoghurt, spag Bol for dinner with more fruit. I would usually do more finger foody meals for lunch though. Then she caught a miserable cold with loads of snot and understandably went a bit picky (only ate protein based meals and smaller volumes), gradually reducing to refusing pretty much everything except fruit and yoghurt. She is over the cold now but for the last two days has eaten less and less. Seems to refuse anything on a spoon at all for starters. Dinner tonight: gnawed a bit of cucumber and sucked the middle out of two cherry tomatoes and licked some cream cheese off a slice of toast. She looks around as though she wants something else and eagerly sucks water from her sippy cup.

I am sure this sort of behaviour is normal and it is just the after effects of a cold combined with wanting to assert her independence (sometimes she will eat a few tsp if she plays with the spoon a while first) but I am finding it very stressful. I don't care if she's not hungry but she seems to be sending me mixed messages (eg will eat a few tsp hungrily if I can get her to taste something but then suddenly clamps her jaws shut). Am seeking reassurance this will pass without me having to do anything drastic...

Thanks!

fififrog Thu 13-Oct-11 21:01:24

That didn't sound quite right! I mean if she isn't hungry I don't mind rather than I will force feed her regardless of whether she's hungry... Of course!

Crazy4U Fri 14-Oct-11 16:26:54

Hi. No real advice but just wanted you to know you are not alone with this concern. My 7 month old had just started eating as well and now has a cold so won't eat and just wants milk. So frustrating and seems like a step back. Worried that my dd isn't getting enough but don't want to force feed. Fingers crossed for speedy recovery!

HumptyDumpty1 Fri 14-Oct-11 21:15:26

I'm also in the same boat. I think my DD is just catching up on lost milk but have found just finger food and sometimes porridge seems to go down well so BLW from now on! Much easier too!

fififrog Mon 17-Oct-11 20:16:55

Thanks guys. Just in case anyone is interested, it turned out that although she seemed to be getting over her cold, she was actually coming down with another! Anyway, I got her to start eating again by bfing before every meal - still having to do that occasionally and she's no yet guzzling as much as before but at least she isn't rejecting everything!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now