Talk

Advanced search

Foods to ease constipation in 8 month old

(11 Posts)
KentishMaid1977 Thu 13-Oct-11 16:44:39

My breastfed and BLW 8 mo has only been able to pass small nugget-like poos for the last 3 days or so.

I was advised to give her prune juice, which I'm trying to do, but she isn't that great with either a sippy or doidy cup at the moment and only takes in tiny amounts of liquid.

Any foods that I can try to get things moving? What should I avoid?

Timeoutofmind Thu 13-Oct-11 17:07:49

Prunes, apricots, raisins are all good, and avoid bananas!

KentishMaid1977 Thu 13-Oct-11 17:12:45

I think it was bananas that did it in the first place! Do you reckon tinned peaches in juice will work in lieu of apricots? I've got a tin of those in the cupboard...

greeneone12 Thu 13-Oct-11 17:16:32

This thread will help:

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/weaning/1177577-Help-very-constipated-baby-feel-like-a-terrible-mother/AllOnOnePage

KentishMaid1977 Thu 13-Oct-11 17:23:37

Ooh, thanks for that greeneone12. I'll take a look.

4madboys Thu 13-Oct-11 17:33:55

i always pureed prunes and mix them in yog, he coudl have a go at feeding himself yog, messy tho! i get the prunes in a tin, pour away the juice, de-stone and whizz with a blender and freeze in ice cubes to add to plain natural yog, but you could just de-stone and give them to him to eat like that?

greeneone12 Thu 13-Oct-11 18:09:26

4madboys that's a fantastic idea about freezing! Thanks.

WhatFreshHellIsThis Thu 13-Oct-11 18:18:20

Kiwis are magic for constipation (but watch out for allergies). Also grapes.

DS1 had terrible constipation and a kiwi a day sorted it right out.

Mimmee Thu 13-Oct-11 18:23:59

Dried apricots work well. I use ones from a wholefood shop with no sulphur (they are brown rather than bright orange).

Leave to soak overnight, stew and then puree - they freeze very well. Really handy in yogurt, on breakfast cereal, on toast etc and taste lovely.

dikkertjedap Sun 16-Oct-11 00:38:49

a little bit of orange juice (1 spoonful to start with)

heidipi Mon 17-Oct-11 09:16:50

I got a great tip from MN to whizz stewed prunes and apricots together, it makes a sweet sticky goo that you can mix into yoghurt.. Thus sorted DD out after a couple of days and I give her some now and again to keep constipation at bay.

Stirring prune juice into food is a good way of getting them to take it as it is quite a strong taste.

HTH

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now