Talk

Advanced search

Blw - Breakfast?

(13 Posts)
CoralRose Wed 12-Oct-11 21:40:52

I've just started, have no clue what I'm doing (am waiting on all appropriate literature to arrive from Amazon), but was just wondering, when we get to breakfast, what do I give? Please don't tell me a bowl of porridge, I don't think I could cope with that much mess, I'm almost at breaking point after just two nights of cauliflower florets!!

GhoulishGlendaFestersAgain Wed 12-Oct-11 21:43:42

I gave banana for breakfast for about the first 4 months or so. Half a banana in one piece, with an inch of peel trimmed off so they can chomp on the edible bit. Then trim it down when they have eaten what they can.

Or crumpets cut into fingers. Or toast. Other fruits - pears or mango cut up with a crinkly chip cutter to make them less slippery.

GhoulishGlendaFestersAgain Wed 12-Oct-11 21:44:54

Or a bowl of dry cereal pieces dampened with some natural yogurt, mini shredded wheat type stuff works well. Or shreddies type cereal.

GhoulishGlendaFestersAgain Wed 12-Oct-11 21:45:33

I loved BLW, would do it all again tomorrow. DS was a gannet and loved it all grin

Romilly70 Wed 12-Oct-11 21:46:40

ds is almost 1 year and i do a mix of blw, (usually pasta twists & peas which he loves) and then i pop bits of food in his mouth and try and spoon some stuff in too - i just want to make sure he eats, so am not a "purist".

For breakfast i have tried dairylea on toast cut into tiny mouthsized squares. likewise a little cheese omelette. sucess depends on Ds's mood.
other suggestions, sliced bananas. I am sure you could make some kind of miniature flapjack concotion....

will watch this thread with interest!

NickNacks Wed 12-Oct-11 21:51:00

DD loves Raisin Wheats and similar. While she got used to it i just soaked them (briefly - 30 secs) in milk and then give them to her. Soft enough to pick up and eat but not soggy. Now she can use a spoon I just serve as usual.

CoralRose Wed 12-Oct-11 21:55:44

Thank you, we are in very early stages, he's literally just had a go at smooshing cauliflower into his highchair a couple of times, plus he's only just 5 months so I'm not starting 'properly' yet, just letting him have a play really, but it suddenly struck me that I'm not going to be able to just shovel some porridge into him in the morning! Banana- so obvious, I didn't think of it! I suppose they don't have any preconceived ideas of what breakfast should be, so probably anything will go for a while at least?

lilham Wed 12-Oct-11 22:07:19

I found the easiest breakfast for blw is toast/rice cakes with spread and some fruit. My DD is at an early stage so anything with a peel tend to be easier to handle.

boognish Fri 14-Oct-11 00:09:59

Breakfast cereals can be pretty salty, and my DS hates bananas. We've done best with eggy bread and real pancakes with fromage frais and other fruit (when I've got the time and energy).

ChippingIn Fri 14-Oct-11 00:20:53

Yes to banana - though I cut it lengthways then in half (so long quarters)

Raspberries - very soft and smooshy grin

Mango, melon, nectarine - pretty much any fruit (other than grapes at first (ok after a little while))

Potato cakes (mashed potatoes 'fried' in a non stick pan in the shape of fish fingers)
Organic (baby) Rice crakers - the apple ones are a big hit!
Toast (butter/peanut butter/cream cheese/jam)
Bread sticks
Omlette (cut into strips)
Crumpets
English muffins
Miniwheats (with just a dribble of milk to dampen them)

I do do porridge though - nothing a good anti bacterial spray & paper towel can't deal with grin

bagelmonkey Fri 14-Oct-11 00:35:14

You can also make porridge fingers. Think it's from the BLW cookbook. Basically 3 spoons of porridge, 3 spoons of milk, maybe a pinch of cinnamon. Soak for 5 mins then microwave for 2 mins. Turn out and cut into fingers then allow to cool a bit.

SmugisaDrug Fri 14-Oct-11 11:20:59

I've been making porridge with grated pear and cinamon - it tastes good, no need to add any sugar. DD has worked out the best way to get it into her mouth is to splat her hand into it then suck her thumb. I'm not going to do it every day though as I'm fed up eating it myself and it makes her hands cold quite quickly.

Today I tried the banana the way described above and sticks of mango with the skin still on and some natural yogurt. Mango was really easy for her to eat, but the yogurt made everything slimy and hard to pick up so not sure if I will continue with that.

Bread as toast and cereal soaked in milk probably easiest but both of them contain added salt, sugar and preservatives. Also you don't want your baby to bulk up with these products and leave no room for fresh fruit and veg and breastmilk or formula. (Can you tell I've just read the book? smile )

If you think about babies not doing BLW they wouldn't have any bread for a while, and loads of fruit and veg which is good for vitamins.

lilham Fri 14-Oct-11 16:29:38

SmugisaDrug not sure about the fruit and veg comment. Firstly if you read Annabel Karmel meal planner, you will see she has ready brek and wheetabix for breakfast often. Secondly like you have shown us, you can have fruit for brekkie for blw. It's probably one of the easiest thing to do too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now