Talk

Advanced search

Will it hinder weaning if we don't eat together?

(12 Posts)
Natzer Mon 10-Oct-11 20:20:01

DD is nearly 6 months old, we have been been feeding her some purees over the past few weeks. Once she is 6 months (in a week or so) we are wanting to start BLW with some purees mixed in.

However, dd goes to bed at about 6pm, she will physically not stay awake any later and has been like that for months so don't really want to try and push bedtime back.

Our normal routine is to put her to bed and then make and eat our dinner.

Will it hinder her weaning development if we don't eat together?

RitaMorgan Mon 10-Oct-11 20:21:11

Can you eat with her for her other meals?

Natzer Mon 10-Oct-11 20:25:10

I could I suppose, although i'm on a diet at the moment and only really eat a banana for breakfast and a sarnie for dinner. But yes, I will perhaps put her in the highchair at the dining table whilst I eat them. thanks.

Iggly Mon 10-Oct-11 20:26:02

You can eat other meals together - it's common for babies to have early dinners. We have breakfast and lunch together when at home. DS is fine having tea with us not eating - although sometimes I have something with him.

Meglet Mon 10-Oct-11 20:26:39

I never ate with mine. They eat pretty much anything these days!

I used to eat my lunch when they had their naps.

WhoahThereCrazyHorse Mon 10-Oct-11 22:00:42

I actually find that during the day DD eats much better if I leave her to it! So when its just me and her I just potter. If we're all around then I think she enjoys eating all together but that's really only at breakfast/lunch on weekends. I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Natzer Tue 11-Oct-11 09:56:29

Ha ha thanks ladies, this morning I made DH wait a whole hour for his breakfast so that I could give her a bottle first and then we all sat at the dining table and she had some porridge with mashed banana. I think she seemed to learn from us eating our breakfast too. And she was feeding herself (well I loaded the spoon!)

I now have a grumpy DH ! grin

Iggly Tue 11-Oct-11 10:07:00

He'll live!

MrsTerryPratchett Fri 14-Oct-11 02:58:41

We feed her alone, I also potter grin But, if she looks interested, she gets a bite of DH's banana or my pasta and so on. Seems to work.

rumcrumble Fri 14-Oct-11 06:17:21

We only ever had breakfast together and now ds (11m) eats like a horse.

kandle Fri 14-Oct-11 19:51:36

We have the same, very tired baby at 17.45. We are BLW and always eat with her, we just feel it helps model the enjoyment of eating and it means we are right there for all those chokey scary moments. We've also been able to see how her dexterity has really come on.

LittleMilla Tue 18-Oct-11 20:34:05

I am just starting with my DS, also 5.5 months. I have struggled because we didn't have a highchair. But after trip to Ikea today, we had tea together - I had tea and a couple of biscuits. He had some pureed carrot & apple, but also a rusk.

Seemed to be most fun he's had so far - watching me chew, making "mmmm" noises etc. And he kept on shovelling his rusk in and opening his mouth for the puree too.

Absolute frigging mess, mind. But he seemed to enjoy himself. Aiming to try and do as many meals as poss - defo breakfast and tea as we'll be home. Then see what happens with lunch.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now