Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

BLW in my shoes when would you start

(9 Posts)
Liveinthepresent Fri 07-Oct-11 13:08:05

I suspect I am over thinking this one - but am dithering so thought I would get some wise counsel from you - sorry if long winded - reflects the state of my brain

DD nearly 26 weeks - PFB smile
Not sure she is 'ready' -
Definitely interested in watching us eat - stops what she is doing and stares -not attempting to swipe anything though.
Cant sit unaided, good head control , not sure re tongue thrust - pokes tongue out when I touch her mouth - in fact pokes it out all the time - so not sure how to test this...
I have also realised we have not been perhaps sharing enough mealtimes with her - often eat when she sleeps - so had thought a couple of weeks in high chair joining us at the table might be helpful.
Meanwhile lots of change going on as I am returning to work and she will be at nursery 3 days a week - taking EBM from a bottle which she seems fine with.
Plan thanks to advice on another thread to continue BF as long as poss.
If I dont start this weekend the next two weeks are going to be harder as we have PIL staying - and I cant really face sharing my first BLW of PFB with them ...
Part of me is very keen to get cracking as its an exciting step - but I want it to be fun for her and not just done now because it suits me!
Can we have a dabble this weekend and then stop again depending on how it goes?
Would it matter if we waited a few more weeks?
All thoughts welcome.

YankNCock Fri 07-Oct-11 13:13:41

It most likely wouldn't matter if you waited. They get very little in the way of calories from food at 6 months, it's more about experiencing textures and tastes.

Why do you care if the PILs are there? Have your 'first' try of it this weekend and carry on while they are there, can't see any reason not to! Unless they will be unsupportive?

Liveinthepresent Fri 07-Oct-11 13:40:35

thanks for speedy reply - yes I know that sounded a bit odd - MIL in overdrive re PFDGD - very old fashioned - doesnt think before speaking - will probably be unintentionally unsupportive - it will do both my and DH heads in - but you are right that is probably not actually a good enough reason to stop!

cantmakecarrotcake Fri 07-Oct-11 14:53:51

No hurry, a couple of weeks won't matter. Equally it's ok to start and then stop again, she won't know!

You can always tell the PIL that you're just giving her food to play with and experience rather than talking about BLW.

YankNCock Fri 07-Oct-11 15:11:46

In my experience, once people see BLW in action, they understand it a lot better than when you just tell them about it. My PILs were much the same, thought we were mad, but changed their tune when they saw DS feeding himself! Unsalted mini-rice cakes to gnaw, ripe pear quartered lengthwise, and ripe avocado 'fingers' are all fun.

Liveinthepresent Fri 07-Oct-11 15:58:30

thanks both - all makes sense - its not so much about PIL - tbh I feel a bit like I am going 'right 26 weeks I have to start now' rather than being 100% sure she is ready - but perhaps it is best just to let her have a play and see how we go... Actually MIL will probably be very excited to see how much she is progressing - so I shouldnt be so ungracious.
I probably sound rather uptight - this is I think more to do with going back to work than weaning or PIL!!

lilham Fri 07-Oct-11 21:51:29

A baby feeding herself is extremely cute. I'm sure your ILs will love it!

TheCornishPickle Sat 08-Oct-11 09:45:15

I started another thread about when/how to start BLW as I 'feel' my 23wo ds would love to have a play about with some fruit and veg. So I'm going to give it a go - i want it to be fun and just a bit of experimenting rather than expecting him to actually eat anything really! The backdrop to our situation is also a visit from the outlaws IL's and I really want to be feeling confident handing ds bits and pieces to be having a chomp on rather than nervously starting out with all focus on us.

I'm quite ready to give up or start again in a few weeks if it doesn't go as we expect. Remember, babies don't know what's meant to be happening on the timeline - your dd will just think you're having some new sort of playtime and won't know to expect 3 meals a day every day! Good luck and I hope you have fun with if!

Liveinthepresent Sat 08-Oct-11 17:47:27

thank you! have totally chilled out now! my clever DH has mentioned to MIL already that we will be giving DD some bits of food to play with to get her used to the idea - so he has been listening! smile
He is at ikea purchasing Antilop now.. so we will be all set and am looking forward to it!
good luck too Pickle!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now