Talk

Advanced search

Different guidelines in different countries

(7 Posts)
TabithaTwitchet Thu 06-Oct-11 13:08:32

DD is 4 months old, wasn't planning on weaning until 6 months as per UK guidelines.
I don't live in the UK though, and one of my friends with baby the same age said that here advice is to introduce gluten between 4 and 6 months, in case of allergies confused. Has anyone heard of this? Obviously it is exact opposite to UK guidelines (unless they have changed since I weaned DD1).

Anyone know how I could read up on evidence behind the advice. I do plan to ask the doctor but there is a bit of a language barrier, so would prefer to read about the subject before discussing it.

Of course it could be that my friend has got the advice wrong...

Eglu Thu 06-Oct-11 13:12:53

Interesting. I don't have experience of the same siuation but my friends DH is celiac (sp?) and she did not introduce gluten to her DDs diet until she was 1 in case of reactions, so the opposite thing.

RitaMorgan Sat 08-Oct-11 16:57:07

Gluten should be introduced at 6 months as I understand it currently. There is evidence that early introduction (before 4 months) and late introduction (after 7 months) can cause intolerances.

Seona1973 Sat 08-Oct-11 22:46:29

the coeliac society in the uk advises introducing gluten at 6 months and to continue giving it so that any adverse reactions can be picked up.

TabithaTwitchet Mon 10-Oct-11 08:31:35

OK... so I should start straight off with things like bread rather than vegetable purees first?

Does baby cereal have gluten in it - I know it is in flour but is it in anything else?

Seona1973 Mon 10-Oct-11 12:05:11

I avoided bread and cereals with gluten in until 6 months - before that I gave fruits, veg, baby rice (I started dd at 4 months and ds at 5 1/2 months). I started meat, dairy, pasta, bread/toast, etc when they were 6 months old as per the guidelines. You would need to read the packaging to see if a particular food was gluten free or not - things like oats, wheat, pasta, noodles, weetabix, etc will contain gluten

RitaMorgan Mon 10-Oct-11 14:43:44

At 6 months you can just crack on with normal foods, I wouldn't bother with the whole "one veg puree every 3 days" malarky. Just give the baby a bit of whatever you're having.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now