Talk

Advanced search

Heinz rusks

(10 Posts)
surreytrace Thu 06-Oct-11 09:33:23

hey,
A close friend of mine has gone and got loads of jars of baby food and rusks ready for when my little girl is ready to start weaning. It says 4months on the packets i was wounderin should i start her on them now? or wait another month?

horribledinners Thu 06-Oct-11 09:36:00

Wait. Follow current guidelines as opposed to what your mates do.

Make as much as you can yourself when you start weaning. Its miles healthier and fresher.

surreytrace Thu 06-Oct-11 09:40:20

my daughter is 4months 15days so she should be ok to have abit of rusk then? i was planning to make her food myself i think i will use the jars in case of emergency i think smile

DooinMeCleanin Thu 06-Oct-11 09:43:45

6 months is the current reccomended guidelines. It's not a race. Take things slowly. It will be much, much easier and less stressfull to wean when she is ready than when your mates are.

Have a chat with your HV and she'll talk you through the signs of when a babe is ready for starting solids. If you wait you don't have to bother with the jars or faffy purees at all, you can just give her some of what you have on a plate.

Rusks are the work of the Devil himself. Nowt but sugar. And they're vile.

CMOTdibbler Thu 06-Oct-11 09:46:03

Giving your baby rusks at 4 months is exactly the same as giving her sugary biscuits as her first food - sounds like less of a good idea now ?

The guidelines are not to give babies anything but milk till they are 6 months old, then give them healthy food, ideally the same as you eat

BertieBotts Thu 06-Oct-11 09:48:06

Eat the rusks yourself! As others have said they are massively sugary, and they make a horrible mess as well when they dribble them out everywhere (as they tend to do when you first start!) - plus they are really nice grin

surreytrace Thu 06-Oct-11 09:52:07

thanks i didnt no they was that bad for her i def are not going to give her any now

horribledinners Thu 06-Oct-11 09:55:34

mmm rusks. i haven't eaten one since i was 5 and i used to steal my baby brothers.

Its great that you intended to make your own food anyway. Tell your friend to keep the food at hers, 'just in case'.

We used a couple of jars of baby food when we were camping earlier this year, other than that, i can't see the point of them.

BertieBotts Thu 06-Oct-11 10:02:20

The baby rice cakes which are sweetened with fruit juice are a good alternative to rusks. Or you can even buy the unsalted ones from the adult snack section of the supermarket and just break them up.

When DS started getting interested in food we just let him sit at the table in his highchair at mealtimes and once he could sit up well in the chair we let him have some soft, easy to hold food like cooked carrot sticks, broccoli etc, he would just play with them at first, but he liked exploring them and then once he realised they tasted good he was away! If you do a google search (or look on mumsnet) for "baby led weaning" you will find loads of information and safety guidelines about doing this.

lilham Thu 06-Oct-11 10:12:53

Surreytrace, have a look at the NHS website on weaning. It tells you the three signs your baby is ready for solids. As you know every baby is different. They all start rolling over or crawling at different age. The same applies to weaning. But most are ready closer to 6mo than 4mo. But if you watch for the signs suggested by NHS you won't go wrong.

Like others say rusk is basically a biscuit. You probably won't want to start your baby weaning with one. Most people start with either root veg or fruit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now