Talk

Advanced search

egg

(5 Posts)
stegasaurus Mon 03-Oct-11 09:00:55

In the book Vegetarian Recipes for Babies and Children it says that babies should only eat the yolk as they cannot digest the white. This is in the 6-9 months section, but as far as I can see it doesn't say at what age a baby/ child can have egg white. I see and hear people talk about their baby eating scrambled egg, but is there an age below which this is not ok? Also, how does this work with BLW or the idea of baby eating family foods from the start of weaning? Do people have to stop eating anything with eggs in when weaning and feeding a baby?

lilham Mon 03-Oct-11 09:16:36

I'd trust the nHS birth to 5 more. It says in there only runny eggs are not ok.

FetchezLaVache Mon 03-Oct-11 09:17:32

Oops- didn't know that! Still, DS seems OK...

We BLWed and I made scrambled eggs a bit firmer ("scromlette" as it's called in our house) so there was something for him to get hold of, or, if we had boiled eggs we'd give him a nice chunky toast soldier dipped in the yolk.

stegasaurus Mon 03-Oct-11 10:23:18

Thanks for your replies. I don't agree with/ believe everything I read in this book anyway, so should have thought to check in the NHS book as well.

TOWISalford Mon 03-Oct-11 14:02:54

I think they exercise caution on egg white as it tends to be the albumin in the white that causes egg allergy. The yolk is the most nutritious anyway, you could softly boil the egg and scoop out, mash the yolk to feed baby with, eat the white yourself. However I'm pretty sure I give my daughter chopped boiled egg from 6-9months plus... but we don't have a history of allergies, so if its not something you're concerned about, go for it. Egg is a great first food.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now