Talk

Advanced search

Using frozen fruit

(6 Posts)
stegasaurus Mon 03-Oct-11 08:53:44

In my freezer I have a box of blackberries that my mum gave me from her garden. I don't bake or make desserts so don't know what I'm going to do with them, but Sainsburys Baby Club sent me a magazine about weaning including a recipe for blackberry and apple puree. Can I defrost the blackberries, cook, puree and refreeze in an ice cube tray or not?

lilham Mon 03-Oct-11 09:15:08

I believe Annabel Karmel says you can. Her pea puree is made from frozen peas.

Beaurevage Mon 03-Oct-11 21:20:36

Apparently frozen fruits and veg are picked once ripe and frozen within hours of picking. As opposed to fresh fruit and veg which are often ripened on route to the shops. As a result they are often better / more nutritious than fresh.

SoozleQ Wed 05-Oct-11 23:56:30

I use frozen fruit in my little one's porridge in the morning. Throw a few berries in the bottom of the bowl, cover with porridge oats and milk, stick in microwave for a minute or two, give it a good stir and, hey presto, breakfast ready.

BertieBotts Thu 06-Oct-11 00:06:34

Yes, you can. You can't refreeze stuff in the same state twice, but you can freeze something raw, defrost, cook, and then freeze once cooked. (You can't cook it again and then freeze again though - this will start to degenerate the nutrients.)

Good tip about porridge too! You can also use frozen fruit to make smoothies, you don't need to defrost them or anything, just stick them straight in the blender with some milk and (optional) ice cream.

BertieBotts Thu 06-Oct-11 00:06:57

Also, defrost some in the fridge overnight and give them as finger foods?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now