Talk

Advanced search

Do I really need to sterilise cutlery to play with?

(6 Posts)
peedieworky Fri 30-Sep-11 07:28:24

Hi all,

DS is only 19 weeks old so way too little to start weaning yet. I'm keen to go down the BLW route and he has started to take a real interest in DH and I eating. As such, we've started sitting him in his high chair at mealtimes and he seems to really enjoy watching us eat. I was going to give him a wee plastic spoon or something to play with but the HV told me I need to sterilise cutlery/plates etc. This seemed a bit excessive, given I don't sterilise teethers or things like the remote control, which he rams in his chops with glee if we're daft enough to leave it within reach. I'd also wondered about giving him a cup with a tiny bit of cooled boiled water in it as he keeps swiping for glasses - he is EBF so tell me off now if that's a bad idea!

Thanks

ginmakesitallok Fri 30-Sep-11 07:35:12

no - you don't need to sterilise. As you say, what's the point considering the other stuff they shove in their mouths??

lilham Fri 30-Sep-11 12:13:45

The only reason you sterilize bottles is because milk is hard to clean from the teats and spout. You want to kill bacteria from old mouldy milk.

angelinterceptor Fri 30-Sep-11 12:16:56

no i wouldn't sterilise a play thing - just normal washing or dishwasher will surely be fine

clarabella18 Sun 02-Oct-11 15:47:14

Nope don't bother! I'm in exactly the same boat. Ds is 19 weeks he sits in his highchair at the table while we eat and chews on a plastic spoon. Also has a tommee tippee sippy cup which he likes
To chew the spout on and occasionally pour water all over his legs. Can't wait till we get stuck into BLWgrin

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 02-Oct-11 17:07:09

Absolutley not! If your HV mentions it again, smile, nod and point her in the direction of this or this that should shut her up update her knowledge a bit grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now