Talk

Advanced search

Early weaning?

(11 Posts)
trufflesbum Thu 29-Sep-11 07:37:17

Hi all.

My DS is just over 4 months old, and is EBF. He has always slept well (sometimes too well - up to 10 hours between feeds since 6 weeks!), but in the last week or so, he has started to change. He has always fed a lot in the day, sometimes every hour or two, but I've never minded as he sleeps so well. He is a very big baby (99.6th centile).

More recently he has started waking up in the night apparantly starving hungry. This is as often as every hour and is killing me! I realise I've been spoiled with such a good sleeper but am wondering whether he's struggling to take enough milk to satisfy him. It may be the dreaded 4 month sleep regression but he seems so hungry. He doesn't even open his eyes when feeding and is clearly still tired.

I'm wondering whether anyone has been in a similar position? I'm really struggling and I'm so tired. I'm considering whether it may be helpful for him to try some baby porridge or similar.

Any advice gratefully received!

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 29-Sep-11 10:46:49

truffles poor you, you must be so tired. Try to do things that will make it easier for you like co-sleeping. That way you can get some more rest.

it does sound like the dreaded 4 month sleep regression and it will pass. The best thing to do is feed him if he's awake during the and try to get some sleep yourself during the day. Also, try to make sure he gets a full feed each time in the day. Have you tried breast compression and have you talked to a BFC?

Know this isn't what you want to hear but weaning could actually make him worse. There is little that you can feed him that will be as calorific as your milk and coupled with the fact that his gut is still immature could actually make his sleep worse, not better. There is some info here.

Think though that you are best off feeding often, sleeping when you can and phoning a BFC.

Hope it passes soon.

trufflesbum Fri 30-Sep-11 07:59:56

Thanks Julie. I'm exhausted! Cosleeping unfortunately isn't an option for us as I'm a very deep sleeper. My health visitor is going to put us in touch with a BFC, so will see if she has any more advice.

He slept for four hours last night, but then woke up starving. After a feed he was wide awake and wanted to play. He was up for a total up 3 hors before going back to sleep for four more hours. Maybe you're right and it is the dreaded sleep regression :-(

At least he was only up once though! I'd rather one long spell than up every hour. It was killing me!

Thanks for your advice. Will put weaning to one side for a while :-)

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 30-Sep-11 10:53:43

Glad you had a better night last night, thought you might like to read this information too on solids.

If your HV doesn't give you the details of the BFC today, I'd give on of the helplines a call or is there a Bfing Support Group you can go to today?

vj32 Sun 02-Oct-11 22:41:21

We just had similar problem with ds, he started waking at night again at 16 weeks, but it settled down about a month later and he is now sleeping through again. He too is a big baby - above the 98%, so I would get him weighed to make sure he is not dropping centiles, but I would try and wait it out.

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 03-Oct-11 06:12:22

vj32 if a baby is dropping centiles I don't think early weaning is the answer. There is little that truffle will be able to give that is as calorific as bm.

vj32 Mon 03-Oct-11 08:27:16

No, probably not, but if his weight gain is dropping some action is needed, rather than what I was suggesting which is wait and see...

fraktious Mon 03-Oct-11 08:34:43

I agree about weighing but milk is the most calorific thing. It may just be a big growth spurt before a developmental leap.

pipoca Tue 04-Oct-11 15:08:07

More milk, it's got more calories than any solids. Maybe he's getting a cold? DD has been sleeping crappily for 2 weeks now cos of a blocked nose.

naturalbaby Tue 04-Oct-11 15:12:01

when ds1 was 4months i honestly thought there was something wrong with him! it was a nightmare and went on for well over a month, we weaned early in the end after trying everything else and it made no difference.

pettyprudence Tue 04-Oct-11 21:25:11

Ah the playing in the middle of the night bit definitely sounds like a sleep regression. At 4 months ds was learning lots of new noises and would practice each new noise for a week at a time 24/7 and then go on to the next one... Also started a bit of rolling, throwing legs up, sucking toes - there just weren't enough hours in the daytime for him to practice his new skills grin. We just had another little blip for a week at 24weeks when he learnt to roll on his tummy but back to lovely sleep now (touch wood!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now